SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

Foundation shrubs

10 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking to add landscaping to my new house. I have a wrap-around front porch as can be seen in the attached photo. I want to start off by adding some green shrubs across the front of the porch. From there I will mix in other plants into the bed. On the side of the porch with the steps, I plan to space out several burgundy loropetalum. Then in the front, I will use a few purple pixie loropetalum in front of whatever green foundation shrub I go with. The purple pixie only grows about 1 ft high and would fit nicely in front of the greenery and would tie back in with the taller burgundy LP that will be on the side of the porch.

I'm looking a shrub with dark waxy broad leaves and want to keep it under 4 ft tall. I don't want to shear the shrubs into a hedge, but rather leave them in more of a natural state. One option is the otto luyken laurel. My only concern is I don't want it grow more than 4 ft tall. I also don't want it so bushy that it covers up my stacked stone. I spent way too much money just to hide it!!

Comments (8)