SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

shrub growers (Woody?) what would you suggest

User
10 years ago

I tacked this onto your thread, Woody, and then thought I ought to start a new one so.......
What shrubs are you growing? I am changing from an open sunny plot to a woodland with about 40times more space than I have ever had.....so shrubs, I suspect, are going to play a prominent part since the trees are, right now, a single species - tall hybrid poplars. Obvs, I am growing trees like there is no tomorrow.....but shrubs, especially those I can get from cuttings, are a quick solution to creating a bit of fast diversity, as well as perennials. So although I have some experience from other people's gardens (my customers), trees and shrubs (apart from my love of wild roses) are going to create a steep learning curve.
So, to swap some ideas....here is what I have been sowing, shrubwise.....dogwoods and willows, viburnums (a couple) winterberry (euonymous bungeana - have never actually seen this but have got other euonymous varieties), fruits (raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants). Not much, really. So, calcareous, sandy, shelly soil, deep and fertile (stiff with nettle, chickweed silene), well drained, not too shady under the sparse canopy, with rides and a large clearing (we hacked the brambles over most of last summer).
What can I grow from either seed or cuttings (I would buy a stock plant and propagate from it - finances and space mean doing it slowly and cheaply

Comments (5)