SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What ferns will grow in dry shade?

Any?

I love ferns but have not had much success with them in the area where I would like to have them. Maybe I am just too impatient and they need more time to grow. Or maybe the conditions are just wrong.

I have an area of dry shade under 3 ash trees. This garden is on a slight slope so I have terraced it to help to retain water. I installed a watering system and do water when it gets too dry. Soil is amended. There is both leaf mulch and bark mulch. Pretty much everything I am growing in there has been slow: hosta (VERY slow: 5 years and some still only have 2 leaves; though dwarf kinds did well), astilbe, geraniums, and the ferns. Geraniums and Virginia bluebells are about the happiest: plus bulbs like daffodils.

I bought some ferns that were supposed to be maidenhair, but after they sprouted I could see that they were not. They look a lot like an indoor Boston fern. After 3 years they are still at the 2 or 3 leaf stage. I got some other kind in a local plant swap but donÂt know what they are either. Those are growing but not really taking off. Finely dissected leaves. None are tall, and thatÂs really what I wanted.

Are there any varieties that will grow better in these conditions? And what is a good source? I see some offered in Bluestone, but donÂt know if that is a good place to get them.

Comments (11)