SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Are barberry, plum shrub,arkansas amsonia,burning bush,Hansan's c

chueh
15 years ago

Hi, I'd like to know if all of the following shrubs are evergreens at least in my zone, 7: Arkansas Amsonia, burning bush, Hansan's cherry bush, red leaf barberry, and purple leaf plum bush? Thanks

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

None of these are evergreen and the amsonia is an herbaceous perennial rather than a shrub.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

And burning bush is starting to be a bit invasive, popping up here and there in other people's yards and woods. Blueberry is a good substitute for it.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

For a page that may be of interest...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Gardening & Landscaping : UGA Cooperative Extension

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. It's helpful. Perhaps I did not ask the right question for the first time. What I was trying to ask was if any of the shrubs (except the Amsonia, which I learned now is not a shrub at all. We will eliminate it. Since burning bush is invasive, we eliminate it too) I mentioned above are deciduous shrubs that behave like Forsythia flowering in winter when leafless? So...... they are not just gray stumps and branches in winter time but actually bearing something.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Look for kinds with colorful bark in winter, such as redtwig (and yellowtwig) dogwoods, Leycesteria and Kerria.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    15 years ago

Barberry is also on the list of "please do not plant." You can find a listing of such plants.