SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ron_mummert

Today's pump quality - is Beckett still 'decent'?

ron_mummert
12 years ago

Forgive me for overworking this old question, but most of the info on this topic is a tad dated. With today's tendency for manufacturers to build on the cheap, & attach a once respected brand name to a throwaway product, I just wanted a expert's (you) opinion on the subject.

13 years ago I was a pond newbie. I installed a preformed 165 gallon "tub" & all the equipment that came with the kit. The pump was a small Beckett, submerged in a "battery box" with sponge-like filters. This pump ran 24/7, all 4 seasons, froze solid one winter, & is still running for the people who bought my house last year. I NEVER had a problem with this little workhorse. So.... I have pond fever again, & inherited another "tub" of about 220 gallons (I'm guessing).

I have four highjacked 4" comets that have been putting up with life in a 20 gallon plastic tub for a year. They deserve better. So I'm starting over. I'll probably copy the set-up I had before - in-pond filter & pump with a fountain head plus a 7 - 10' tube routed via diverter to a small falls feature maybe a foot or so higher than the pond edge.

I'm certainly inclined to buy a Beckett again based upon past performance, hopefully assuming that Beckett hasn't degraded its standards. IF SO, any recommendations? Money, within reason, ain't the issue. I don't particularly trust the Big Box or no-name stuff I've seen on line. Also, if there any improved filter set-ups on the market, don't hesitate to clue me in. Humbly thanking you in advance, Ron.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida