SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Suggestions for Partial Shade Roses

I have roses all along the front fence in my yard. Most of it is in all day sun and the roses are doing great. However, there are 2 huge oaks trees that block the morning sun on several roses and, though growing, they are puny. The area where about 5 roses are gets a bit of sun as it moves into the west about noon, then they get some west sun before it sinks behind my tall and thickly wooded lot across the road. These roses, Abe Darby, Burgundy Iceberg, Spendora, a mystery rose from Uncommon Roses, Mme. Alfred Carriere, would do better elsewhere, I feel and I need to replant them immediately before it gets too hot.

My questions is - are there any roses that might do well here - teas, musks, polyanthas? - that wont get huge [like Mrs. BR Cant] and block the mowing space between the fence and the oak trees? Or would I do well to skip roses here and plant something else? I have easy access to Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblees. Can do climbers here - would Rev d'Or, Juane Despres, Crepuscule thrive with these conditions? Open to any suggestions! I have had these roses here for several years and am know they can perform better in more sun. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (16)