SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Jeri... question about wine barrel/container roses?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hey Jeri, thanks for sharing your experience in another post about the wine barrels disintegrating. It's an interesting perspective and I trust your opinion, but wanted to probe a little more to understand a few things.

I wonder if in your coastal climate they don't last very long? Or were you planting really *huge* roses that made removal more difficult?

We use them a LOT here in the East Bay and get at least 5-10 years out of them... and that should be plenty of time for what I'm thinking. (I may not even be at this house in 10 years).

Unfortunately, given my yard's landscape & hardscape, where the sun falls, etc., I do a lot of container gardening. (Fruit trees, blueberries, veggies, perennials, etc.) I'd like to add roses to that mix if possible.

I was thinking of planting one of the smaller roses that tend toward less thorns which will make repotting easier. I know you always say "just try it", but I would love to get your opinion on these roses since you know their mature size and whether they'd tolerate it:

-Gruss an Aachen

-Pink Gruss an Aachen

-Vick's Caprice

-Pink Rosette

-Rose du Roi of Commerce

If you really think a wine barrel is an awful choice, would any of these varieties tolerate a large glazed pot?

For a *minute* I thought of planting Reine Victoria because it is a bourbon (and my SDLM has absolutely thrived in a large pot), but your warning has me rethinking this one. It's not really "small", is it?

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise with me, even if it seems like it's a harebrained idea. Sometimes we have to work with what we have and try to make the best of it and I'm trying to make the most informed choice.

-kmama

Comments (12)