SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

NEWBIES: the difference between compost and mulch

these two are often confused ....

to simplify it to the max ...

COMPOST a SOIL AMENDMENT/ADDITIVE.. which.. over time.. will improve your soil ...

MULCH is a SOIL COVERING which aids in water retention and weed suppression ... which will become two of your biggest challenges.. once your plants quit dying.. lol ..

you can use compost as a mulch.. but you should NOT use mulch as a compost....

the biggest problem is that compost is not a weed suppressor .... weed seeds need soil contact and sun to germinate.. if you cover the soil ... you can retard germination ...

BTW .. if you ever need to go digging in your bed.. you pull back the mulch ... do your soil work.. and then replace the mulch ...

on the other hand .... mulch is often a wood product... when wood IS INCORPORATED into soil [like an amendment might be] .. it leaches nitrogen and other things... and absorbs water ... in the process of rotting .... this would complicate your life.. not aid it ... wood left on top of the soil ... as in mulch ... WILL NOT DRAW nutrients from the soil .... so you would NEVER use mulch as a compost/amendment ...

these two topics are graduate level course in many Ag colleges.. i am trying to simplify it to the extreme.. simply to get a point across ... so correct me if i am way off base... but lets work in simple terms for the NEWBIE ...

WHAT DO YOU USE FOR EACH.. AND WHY...

i have a bunch of tree guys who dump wood chips ... most is used for MULCH ... once it sits long enough for the greenery to burn out ...

piles that i dont move in 3 years are/become compost ... i have too many of those around to admit.. lol ...

if you want to speed decompostion of a pile of wood to black gold... add 49-0-0 and copious amounts of water ... and then wait about three years ...

ken

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor