SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecats_gw

Roses & Drought Tolerance

rosecats
15 years ago

As you've most likely heard, California will have mandatory water rationing this year. I would love to hear your input on increasing the drought tolerance of my roses so I can keep them!

I planted a few dozen assorted roses last year, and a couple dozen more earlier this season. All kinds - antiques (teas, noisettes, hybrid musks, HP's), English, romanticas, HTs, floribundas, polys, etc.

I'm mulching heavily, hoping to have 3-4" of mulch before the rains end for the season. I'll water deeply with grey water, hopefully just once a week for the new plantings. All the plants have a nice layer of homemade compost, which I think will reduce heat stress. They're also getting a little bit of rose food.

Has anyone used anti-transpirants on roses? What's your experience with them? Is there anything else I can do?

A few roses are very well-established - they've been here perhaps 10 years, so they hopefully will only require monthly soakings. Fortuniana's roots are shaded, & that monster never seems to need summer water.

I'd appreciate all help! Thanks so much.

Comments (8)