SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claferg

Madame Tellier or Thelier

claferg zone 9a Fl
12 years ago

I am finding it difficult to get any information about this rose. HMF has no pictures and very little info, other than the rose is a damask perpetual, light pink color and petal count.

Does anyone have this rose that can give me a little more information. How big does it get? Is it a once bloomer? Can it grow in zone 9 ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)

• odinthor
    12 years ago

How interesting that this rose should crop up! Where did you obtain it?

Here's data on it from an article on the 1840s Damask Perpetuals which I wrote a while back. (The reference tags are my usual ones from my books):

'Mme. Tellier' (Roeser/Berger, 1845) Syn. 'Mme. Thelier'. The Floricultural Cabinet, in 1845, records this as a "fine pale pink" [FlCa45/66]. Rivers, in 1847, found it to be "a delicate and pretty rose; colour, pink; flowers, middle-sized; habit, slender; this will, I have no doubt, succeed better on the Boursault stock." W. Paul's 1848 entry reads "flowers flesh-colour, of medium size, double" [P]. "Medium-sized, full, flesh" [BJ53]. In 1862, Robert & Moreau include it as "medium-sized, double, flesh" [R&M62]. "It's a veritable 'Rose du Roi', but in flesh white!--with several petals further having several stripes of the original's color. This nuance, heightened by beautiful foliage, is very pretty and has delicate shadings, qualities to which it is necessary to add its handsome habit and great floriferousness. This gracious Rose would seem to us to be progress towards the pure whites which are still lacking in this division" [dH45/169].

Best Wishes,

--BCD

Brent C. Dickerson