SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jschristian44

Weeds overtaking my Celery/Carrots in New Garden!

jschristian44
12 years ago

Hi,

I am pretty new to vegetable gardening. I thought it would be a nice relaxing way to enjoy watching vegetables grow and then eat them. I planted some pumpkins for halloween harvest, some Utah Tall Celery and some Baby Carrot variety. I see a few carrot stalks showing through as well as a few celery. I believe I planted them wrong and will learn from that, but the weeds are overtaking them. The pumpkins are amazingly fun to watch grow. They grow like 2-3 leaves a week now and the leaves are getting huge. It's amazing to see the progress how they started as just a little 2 leaf bud. Anyways, my main concern is the grass and weeds that are growing in my garden that are shadowing my celery and carrots. I try to pull them, but I have a fear of pulling my veges with them. I pulled a few veges I know of but I'd like to avoid that. I planted mulch and mushroom soil mulch and I was hoping that would discourage weed growth but it didn't really help. I am going to start over in the springtime, planting cucumbers, tomatoes, etc in teh garden and I want to do it right at that time. I am going to harvest whatever celery and carrots grow by that time and start over. I have red crimson clover growing to act as a border for bunnies and other animals so they can eat that first before coming in my garden and I have hosing that looks like snakes as well. Please help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus