SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justin_linker

What is the best way to germinate apple seeds?

justin_linker
14 years ago

Hello all. My name is Justin I'm from North Carolina and I just signed up for this site today and so far I am loving it and hope to become a regular here.

Well, I've been gardening for about 2 years now, this is the year I've actually got really serious about it. I've grown alot of veggie crops over the past 2 years and the passion is building. I wanna take it to a higher level.

I bought a few apples from the market a few weeks ago, I've already eaten them and I saved the seeds out of them and they've been sitting on a paper towel for a little over a week now (maybe 2 weeks, memory isn't what it used to be lol) and I thought I would give trying to grow an apple tree myself a shot. I've read that less than half of your seeds will actually germinate, so from what I've read it's not the easiest seed to sprout. I've read that people put seeds in damp paper towels and put them in fridge for a few weeks, I've read people put them in a damp paper towel in the sunlight for a few weeks. Read that people simply plant them in soil and they will simutaneously sprout in about a month. And I've even read a remarkable amount of people simply dropping seeds in a cup of water and they begin to sprout. Come to think of it, the cup of water method seemed to get the thumbs up more than anything. But I just want to be 100% sure what I should do, since this is my first try, I would really hope to get at least 1 of my seeds sprouted. That would be great.

It is said it's best to have plenty of seeds in possession when trying to germinate apple seeds, so I just counted and I have 13 seeds.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living