SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Need ideas on warming up my seed growing area

16 years ago

I don't know if many are reading this forum at this time of year, but I'll give it a try.

I start my seeds in spring, and I have a setup in my basement. it's an old fashioned concrete basement which means it doesn't stay super warm in winter. I have the furnace ducts open to try and heat it a bit, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

I didn't realize it might be a problem until this last spring, when my friend and I were growing tomatoes from seed and we started pretty much at the same time, shared seeds. Her setup is in the house, where it's warm, and mine is all in the basement, where it's kind of cool. (Don't know the temp, but probably 55-65)

So her tomatoes were nearly a foot high and mine were about two inches. LOL. We planted outdoors about the same time, and hers started getting ripe about three weeks before mine. (She's in north Texas, only a letter apart in zones: I'm in 6a and she's in 6b)

So I'm thinking I need a way to warm up my plants so they grow better. They mostly do well, just that it became obvious mine are slower in growth due to the chilly temps.

I'm not comfortable using a space heater down there, fear of fire. (Oh, and I can't bring things upstairs because I have nowhere to put the setup where my little cat won't wreck it...she is frantic about digging in plants)

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might heat things up? Safely?

Thanks!

Comments (3)