SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhardee_gw

Anyone started Iris from seed?

dhardee
18 years ago

Just wondering how many years before anything would happen.

Thanks!

dhardee

Comments (26)

• magus
    18 years ago

As in germination or flowering? If germination, they should germinate around early summer (they are rather slow germinators) if you sow them in the previous fall or early winter. As for flowering, unfortunately my iris seedlings got stolen, but I've read around two to three years after germination.

• kate_rose
    18 years ago

I got some blue flag going from seed this spring after cold stratification and then switching it back and forth from the top of my water heater to my fridge a couple of times. I wouldn't say I had high germination success but I have a couple little plants coming along. Once they sprouted I didn't have trouble loosing them. It was getting them to go in the first place.

Good luck

• Related Discussions

Starting Water Iris from seed

Q

Comments (1)
    Where do you get Pond Iris Seeds?
    ...See More

anyone start lotus from seed before

Q

Comments (8)
    Missa, I know the other site that you refer to. Why didn't you just PM PondmaninFL? He would have answered you. Of course, since he's here, he'll answer you here. I didn't really see your post. I'm sorry. Yours has already gotten roots. Whether you wait or not, you will still have to be gentle planting it. If you would like to go ahead and put them roots in some soil, get the big Jiffy cups that are made of peat. To plant it, just hold the seedling in the cup just over the top. Take and put a little soil in the cup until it is full to the top. Then gently press the soil down but don't pack it. Top it off with a little more soil and press until the seed rests on the top of the soil. I hope that helps and answers all your questions. Feel free to ask me if you have anymore questions. Happy ponding, Scott
    ...See More

Anyone start Carob tree from seed??

Q

Comments (3)
    We have a 30-40 year old carob in our backyard. We love the shade and the maturity of the tree....it's an awesome tree. But alas! it is indeed messy. Leaves, seed pods, the birds love it so there is lots of bird poop to deal with underneath the canopy. In winter, around Christms time, the tree produces a fuzzy flower that I assume becomes the seed pod. It's odor is somewhat offensive. I'm okay with it but some find it extremely offnseive. That lasts a couple of months, then the fuzzies fall and stain the brickwork. It's not a tree for everyone, but it's okay with our household.
    ...See More

Has anyone started sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) from seed?

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have any answers, but keep us informed on how it goes. This is the same shrub that my Aunt in WV had blooming last month when we were up there and it had a wonderful fragrance. I asked her what it was and she called it a red bud bush but I looked it up and found the real name for it. (Maybe that's a local name for it up there?)
    ...See More
  • tsflowers
    18 years ago

I've been germinating Iris germanica from seed in spring after collection the year before and direct planted in May/June, many flowered the next year.

• Florazone9
    18 years ago

It took about 3 years for me. of all the seeds I planted 8 came up and 6 survived. they were suppose to be blue and all were except for one, it flowers a peachy pink. I really love it.

• mora
    18 years ago

I was given seeds from a pink Japanese iris last fall and kept them in the fridge until feb, planted them in a windowsill greenhouse , waited , nothing, found garden web, decided seeds needed stratification, put greenhouse in fridge, after a few weeks put greenhouse on furnace heating duct, back on window ledge, nothing, back to fridge, furnace and window ledge. Discarded project at that point (April) never got round to chucking out the now moss covered pathetic tray until last week (Oct) when I noticed a little iris looking seedling! Dug it out with a spoon and put it in some nice potting soil and it has taken off! Three inches tall! What should I do now? M

• baci
    18 years ago

Several of my iris seeds planted during the summer are sprouting now. In my area. October seems to be the sprouting month. I wonder if they need stratification or just the right temperature.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I stratified some in moist vermiculite in the fridge butter compartment over winter and planted in spring. Fair germination. About the same with planting in fall outside. Took me 4 years to get bloom on most of the ones I have done.

George

• ensatagirl
    18 years ago

I have had good luck this year with Japanese and Siberian iris. I read that you have to put them in little bundles of fine nylon netting or cheese cloth (individually as to type or cross). I did this and used pipe cleaners to secure them to a wire coathanger which held them in the toilet tank. This took 2plus weeks. Every time the toilet was flushed, the seeds were washed again essentially removing their anti-germinating coating. Then after potting them in containers, I put the in the fridge four weeks. After that I took them out and put the containers under lights. I had a lot of success but didn't with bearded. I am going to do the same thing this winter with more Japanese iris.

• Soeur
    18 years ago

I've done I. sibirica (purchased) and I. virginica (collected) from seed with high germination percentages. I cold stratified both for 90 days and then sowed on the soil surface, as I'd read that light is necessary for germination. The I. virginica plants from seed I started last spring are now over a foot tall, each with multiple blades making a big fan. I may get bloom next spring from the looks of the size of them. The I. sibirica are smaller, but I sowed them in summer. Probably 2 years to bloom for those.

Soeur

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I got a couple of seeds of Iris Fulva from a GW member last fall. I sowed the seeds right away and put the container outside where it has stayed ever since they were sown. One seed has sprouted this past week-end (halloween week-end). I just left the container in an inconspicuous place next to my honeysuckle vine all summer and watered it when I watered the vine. Louisiana Irises need warm/cold/warm to break dormancy from what I have been told and they need to stay constantly moist. Mine may have sprouted a bit sooner but the container didn't stay as moist as it should have over the heat of summer. I now have a tiny 1 inch tall sprout to care for over the winter.

Penny

• mora
    18 years ago

Dose anyone have advice for myself and Penny as to how we might bring our little seedlings through the winter, mine is growing visably every day, how do I bring it along?M

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

You could put them in a cool window and grow them like a houseplant for the winter.

• jel48
    18 years ago

I winter sowed Siberian Iris last year and had great germination. None of them bloomed this year, but I've got 23-40 young plants that look just great!

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

What about just planting in the garden dirt now and then waiting till spring well they grow this way? How does nature do it with out the multiplacation factors?

• mora
    18 years ago

That's what I was wondering, It might seem silly to mither over one little seedling but this one has sentimental value and I would hate to lose it! M

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Mystic. That's what I meant above when I said just planted outside. Sow outside in a protected location, and wait till spring.

George

• sleonhardt
    16 years ago

How deep should you plant iris seed outdoors? I want to sow them now (mid Oct) in Atlanta, GA. Should I soak them first?

• im_a_believer
    16 years ago

sleonhardt: I would actually sow them in containers instead of direct in the ground. As long as you expect to get plenty of rainfall between now and spring, I wouldn't worry about soaking them.

• cajunbadger
    16 years ago

From other posts, I think I have Louisiana irises (seeds are smooth black and brown, a bit smaller than a bb). Some seed pods have dried completely and others are just starting to split. I notice some seeds appear to be already germinating in the pod - at least there appears to be some nubs on them. Is this possible and if so, do I need to plant all seeds immediately or can I keep some for future use (assume if already germinated they won't be good later)? Lastly, should I just sow them or do any pre-planting preparation? Thanks so much!

• cajunbadger
    16 years ago

From other posts, I think I have Louisiana irises (seeds are smooth black and brown, a bit smaller than a bb). Some seed pods have dried completely and others are just starting to split. I notice some seeds appear to be already germinating in the pod - at least there appears to be some nubs on them. Is this possible and if so, do I need to plant all seeds immediately or can I keep some for future use (assume if already germinated they won't be good later)? Lastly, should I just sow them or do any pre-planting preparation? Thanks so much!

• cajunbadger
    16 years ago

As a followup, I came across more info. If indeed these are Lousianas (originals appear to have rhizomes rather than bulbs), I'll soak the ones I've already collected for a day and find a spot out of the way to plant them outside. I'm assuming the New Orleans winter will be ok for this...

I'll gather the seeds from the pods just starting to dry and open and plant them promptly in a large "flat" (12"x24"x6"). Can I put the flat under the carport and keep moist (conditions: evening temps are in the upper 50's now, mostly 40's by December, indirect light..a little sun possible)? Or should I consider putting them in a cool back room (60's and little light)? I could set up some artificial lighting...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

cajunbadger, it's unlikely you have seeds germinating in the pods.

Iris of all types will germinate best when exposed to a warm moist period (Fall), a cold moist period (Winter), followed by warmer but still cool (early Spring)....your cool 60ish room isn't going to give them the range of temperatures they need.

Be patient, iris can be very slow to germinate and germination may be erratic, meaning not all seeds will germinate at the same time. You could continue to see seedlings appearing for many weeks or even months after your seeds begin to sprout

• cajunbadger
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! Should I put the flat(s) out in the weather or can I keep them under the open carport?

I took a closer look at the seeds and it sure seems like some have started to germinate (as unlikely as it sounds). Here's a link of the seeds - they came out of the pod as shown:

{{gwi:246338}}

I'm going back to square one on the id - reading more has me wondering if they're not Ensatas rather than Louisianas. They have midribs, bulbless, and lacking thick rhizomes as described in the "Louisiana Iris or Ensata?" post. Here's a link to a clump I'm transplanting tomorrow - keeping the roots moist until then:

All the assistance is greatly appreciated!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

You do seem to have a nice surprise there :) I couldn't say why...if these are i. ensata, they shouldn't really germinate any differently than other iris and not in their pod - before a warm moist, cold moist, followed by warm moist sowing!

Your seeds are germinating and need to be sown. Don't completely cover those newly emerging green shoots, and if you can't tell which end is up on all of them, laying them on their sides for them to find their own way is safe.

You'll need to keep your flat moist (not soggy) so depending on your own local weather, you'll have to decide whether carport or in the open.

I can't tell you which iris from your foliage picture but if you posted it on the Name that Plant forum, someone there might be able to.

And congratulations on your seedlings!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:246341}}

• cajunbadger
    16 years ago

Thanks! I'm just starting (you couldn't tell, right? *grin*) but am excited - a bit less patience needed in this case, but nonetheless..

I'll check out the link and try the Name that Plant forum (and if no luck, may try a new id post here). Again your help is very much appreciated!

• gail58
    15 years ago

I have some unusual Iris that have produced seeds. These iris are extremely tall (4') and seems to have only the bottom part of the iris. They have very little on the top of the flower. Now they have produced seeds which look like enormous beans.

I'm interested to know what variety I have and whether the seeds are likely to produce plants and whether they must be soaked?