SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyflora

Crispy Lotus Leaves and Rotten Tubers, oh dear!

amyflora
16 years ago

Hi. I am new to this forum, but have spent lots of time admiring all your hard work and knowledge. Please help. I got from mail order this spring a Chowan Basu lotus tuber, and planted it in a big porcelain pot. I had been keeping the water level up using filtered water from my Brita pitcher, but got fed up with it, and resorted to the hose. COuld that be what is causing the leaves to crisp? We are also having a big ol' drought, with very high day and night temps, and maybe that is making things worse.

Then, today, as I was cutting back the crispy leaves (way above the water level), I noticed an exposed part of the tuber, and it came out when I grasped it. It smells funky, and I am afraid that when I cut back leaves earlier this season, I may have cut them below the surface, and part of the tuber rotted. Will this mean the demise of the whole thing? I am crushed!! I even had my first bud, but it turned black, maybe because of the rot. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you have for a lotus newby!! -amy

Comments (4)