dodgerdudette
15 years ago

Winter, birds and the message of hope.

Carry on Idylls...

Comments (100)

• saucydog
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think their might be some key lime pie with my name on it in the far back corner!

Denise, I like the idea of you warming your feet by the computer! I find myself baking a lot of potatoes for meals when it's cold like that.

I hope you feel better soon, GB!

Kathy, sorry, Marcy is short for Marcella, The Italian Cat. She's obviously got Chelone fooled :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Ill be , that is one mighty fine looking wreath ! Rich may have to rent himself out in the off-season as a Christmas décor consultant.
    It got down to the high 20s here last night , but my house is still not as cold as Denises-whats up with that ? I had the thermostat down to 56 last night and the heat came on a couple of times in the pre-dawn hours. It always wakes me up because I usually turn it all the way off overnight. Since I left to go to work in the dark, and came home in the dark, I dont know what damage may have occurred to tender plants still outside. I moved a bunch of my succulents in. We have rain coming in this weekend along with below freezing temps predicted , so we are in for one of those rare occasions when we could get some snow.

Im eyeing the fruit tart too. Since we are buyers , we get a parade of vendors coming in this time of year loaded down with chocolate I usually can hardly bear to look at it by about 3 or 4 days before Christmas. Today was chocolate covered pretzels, which I find horribly compelling-I think its the combo of pleasant crunchiness, salt and of course chocolate that gets me. Hoping the janitors eat the rest of it overnight.

Speaking of Cindys charitable giving to Katrina, I sometimes fantasize about being a philanthropist, and speculate about what causes I would donate too. I would love to be able to write large checks to the local schools music and drama programs, the animal shelter, hospice, the Napa County Land Trust, the food bank etc. Unfortunately I will never be in that position, but I do always drop a few bucks in the salvation army Christmas bucket when I leave the grocery store.

Saucy, I thank you for the ID on Marcy, and am wondering how I managed not to know of her existence. I would be grateful for a photo !

Welcome back V ! Perhaps you can lead us all in the Macarena at camp.

Time for me to go read the paper, wave to all. Wouldnt it be nice if Honey and Babs came by to see us ? And where has Jerri been ?

nite all

Kathy in Napa

• Related Discussions

Idyll # 472 Earth Shaking Color

Q

Comments (102)
    Take a day off for quality family time and look at what greets me upon my return! Very cool pictures, you guys. (I have no idea whatsoever how to put text over a picture, either, so I'm in pretty good company, I see!). My thoughts are with Woody today as something in the back of mind says the 16th. is the big day? May the wind be steady and the seas smooth, a beam reach toward recovery, my friend. Brenda, Jude looks pretty good for one so freshly "out of the brine", so to speak. Try to use some restraint with the pictures though, willya?! :) I see spring everywhere in your garden, Kathy. Probably just because we who love to watch spring overtake the ground know what to look for... . I will have to look for that book, Denise. While Cromwell has a pretty grim reputation (the architect behind the fall of Ann Boleyn) he suffered mightily at his own fall. What many do not appreciate, however, is what a very, very capable official "Mr. Secretary" was, as was his predecessor (and mentor), the equally disgraced Cardinal Wolsey. Too often the depth and real worth of a person is lost in the myth. Henry VIII was fortunate to have such astute, capable, hardworking men at his right hand... ..I also want to read "In Fed We Trust" by David Wessel (Wall St. Journal and frequent NPR contributor). Wow, the bear vs. plane series is a sobering reminder of the power and drive in an animal that is looking for food! When park officials tell you not to leave food in your car or bring it into your tent it's wise to take the advice to heart, huh? Big day here, today. The pride had to go to the veterinary clinic for shots. Polly and Vera in their suitcases, Spencer wearing his jaunty red harness. All are in good condition, had some tartar scraped off their back teeth, and came home with the yearly dose of Drontal. They have been successful hunters over the months and as a result are little "mobile homes" for all manner of worms. ;) But not for long! We are having "linner" again today, and it smells pretty good. Gotta go.
    ...See More

Idyll #412 The Spirit of December

Q

Comments (101)
    Its snowing right now, just a light one. Just started and the kitties and cur will be thrilled to experience it when Daddy gets up. Wow, Eden! Id forgotten you had a chandelier in your boudoir. It looks great, especially decorated for the Yuletide season. Did you use one of those plastic medallions to add the detail to your ceiling? Ive looked at them repeatedly over the years and have never used one before. Seeing yours got me thinking about the possibility of using one over the stairwell in the Salon (whenever I get around to replacing the cord and the bare bulb, lol). I have to agree with you on the annoying aspect of Spike and the necessity of him remaining in Bellas home! You could always give her a lump of coal and tell her its what ultimately became of all the dinosaurs, you know. ;) Books were always a huge part of gift giving in our home. And like Bella, my brother and I were never disappointed to receive them. I love that you and Bella read together; so, SO important, and not only for good reading skills, but also for relaxing and cementing the bond of affection and trust that will make the "tough" years easier. Michelle, I love the idea of making puzzles for Kenzie. I can only imagine the squeals of joy when theyre completed and pictures of her favorite haunts at your home are revealed by her hard work. There are so many inventive ways to use technology to keep those distant close. Weve had none of your bone-chilling temperatures here but they will arrive as they always do! Still, though, we rarely see zero degrees F here in the "banana belt" of the Pine Tree State. Ive yet to get working on the decorations for the outside of the house, PM. That wreath picture is so pretty. I havent decided whether or not to fool around with the wet saw today or apply myself to the task of stapling greens to frames. The helpmeet brought home a bundle of "brush" (trimmings from Christmas trees) the other day. Which reminds me that I ought to move them inside the bahn before they are covered with snow . As usual, Ive gotten several chuckles from Cynthias post. Will today be the day the window candles are displayed at your house? Do you make winter jammies for your peach-skinned canids for the winter season? The image of the girls peeling around the yard pretending they were pursuing the "Yankee" cracked me up. Mary, the generosity of musicians never ceases to amaze me. There is a definite kinship there, a shared experience of learning something, practicing, and mastering it. Hard work and joy in the subject elicits the generosity of such a thoughtful loan. Several years ago the cellist, YoYo Ma left his Stradivarius in a taxi. The instrument is valued in the millions of dollars and it was returned as soon as the oversight was reported. There was a similar story about another musician who left her instrument in some sort of public transport not too long ago . Hard to believe anyone could forget something so obvious, but Im sure it happens more than we know. I love the sound of the Lute, when I hear it now I always think of Mary I of England, who was the most accomplished musician of all Henry VIIIs children (all of whom were quite talented). I think my favorite composer is Handel, though I am a fan of Georg Telemann, too. I am particularly fond of the bright, cheerful sound of brass. I purchased a pair of speakers for the Salon yesterday, having stewed on it for some time. We have rather a lot of stereo components kicking around the Compound, certainly enough to cobble together some sort of "system" for music delivery, but speakers are in short supply. I am not particularly skilled in programming remote controls but Im shooting for the Holy Grail, you guys. ONE remote to control volume and program/control a receiver and disc changer from anywhere in the room. Mind you, no such feat has ever been accomplished in this household before, so Im clearly shootin for the moon on this one. Speaking of the moon, I DID enjoy the convergence in the heavens, Martie. It was very cool and both the helpmeet and I commented that we always think of the generations before us that looked up at the same thing, and considered the possibility of what a knowledge of the stars could provide them. I wish Rich lived near me. The helpmeet attempted to install the staircase railings last spring. He was irritated and when hes like that he tends to hurry. Anyway, it looks like doggie poo-poo and Ive quietly decided Im going to look into hiring someone to do it with less "attitude". Ill bet itd be childs play for Rich and Ill bet he wouldnt mind if I wanted to "prefinish" some of the pieces before they were completely installed. You are so right about the importance of thoughtfulness in gift giving. The point of the season isnt the "booty", at all. My list includes several rather small items that will flesh out my tool collection and thats about it. Helpmeet has yet to present his wish list, so Im not certain whats on it. Hopefully no Spike! I lol when Eden worried that your "out of work" friend doesnt appear at your door, Cindy, looking for another winter of protection. Repeat after me (while giving a nod to Nancy Reagan), "just say no". And I dont "get" keeping the dead plants around, either. Thats probably why there are no houseplants in this house! All the suggestions on how to address them made me laugh. Im always interested in your reports on the news from the heart of our nation. Marian, Rex would make your yard a regular stop if you set out a turkey buffet for him. He might even bestow a certain "gift" on the edge of your lawn area, too. Speaking of which, he is giving me "the eyes". Hes had breakfast and now hes jonesin to go out for his morning constitutional. Id best get suited up to chaperone him. Keep warm!
    ...See More

Lawns Loving Them Or Leaving Them?

Q

Comments (25)
    Hey there, Thanks a bunch for the positive encouragement about my front yard plans. My neighbors are all convinced that Im crazy because they all have chemlawn rectangles in their front yard. Secondly, my name is greg. I am not offended by being called bob, or frank, fred, or even mary. My screen name, sunshineboy, was how I was referred to as by the employees of the spermbank where I used to donate sperm....but thats another story and I have already hijacked this thread enough. So I wanted to reply to a few of the last posts. Kt..last fall I planted some trees to create some anchor points. I put in a dogwood, a quaking aspen, a lace leaf weeping red maple, a redbud, a pear tree, a dwarf saturn peach tree, and my showpiece..a dwarf lavender weeping redbud. But as pointed out, it looked ridiculous during the winter without winter interest. I do have a few boulders and height elevations, but I needed something else. I have a few taller pampas grasses (but those are temporary for a few years). I also got 7 elijah blue festucas, some yellow twigged and red twigged dogwoods, china girl holly, cypress (chamaecyparis pisifera compacta), cypress sungold threadbranch, some rose of sharon, contorted hazelnut, etc. Not really helping the winter, but for spring I planted a bunch of bulbs last fall..tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, etc. And I moved a few azaleas up front and they put on quite a show. And here and there I am tucking in perennials such as daylillies and shasta daisies and sedum and salvia (heat tolerant stuff that I dont need to water). I put pumpkins on a rock last fall and seedlings that have sprouted will be this falls crop. And california poppies self seeded into several of the free spaces---Im a california native so I NEED this plant in my yard. Im open to any suggestions cause this is a work in progress. My only catch is I try to limit how much I spend on my yard--Im cheap. I spent less than $200 in plants--most were gifts or trades. The bobcat was borrowed from a friend for a day, and the only other cost was $150 for the gravel. Lastly, that stray dog just wandered into my yard. I havent been feeding him cause I wasnt sure if I wanted him to stick around. Heres a few of the animals I am feeding in our tiny little cape... pic of kids with pumpkins on rock... pics of pumpkin seedlings in front of rock... Sorry again about the hijack...greg (sunshineboy)
    ...See More

Just for Fun! Help me Name My Farm :)

Q

Comments (79)
    Since you have so many plans and dreams, maybe something like Dreamy Acres or Dreamland Woods? or Hopes and Dreams Hollow (Hopes n Dreams Hollow). But you don't want it to sound like your hopes and dreams are hollow (not coming to fruition). OMG, I just looked at this definition ! (warning, if I ever name my place I may use this word, but I will only be in the south, north too cold for me): Fruition: fru÷i÷tion noun 1. the point at which a plan or project is realized. "the plans have come to fruition sooner than expected" fulfillment, realization, actualization, materialization, achievement, attainment, accomplishment, resolution; More 2. literary the state or action of producing fruit.
    ...See More
  • jak1
    15 years ago

Another cold miserable day here, with school buses cancelled for the second day, with TCS guzzling gingerale and cough medicine, with Inter. Phil coughing and sneezing and running outside every few hours to fire up the snowblower and clear out the lane, although we simply do not intend to go anywhere...

I was feeling a little badly that Ajax isn't getting enough exercise - mentioned this to Sr. Phil. An hour later he called me to the family room to "see what your dog can do" - and there was Ajax, trotting along on the treadmill!

I spent part of the day rearranging my kitchen, so that cups, spoons, coffee, tea, kettle etc. are all located in one area away from my work space - this way we theoretically won't be falling all over each other in a kitchen that is six times larger than our old one was...
    That was my JJob for today - or maybe it was completely emptying the fridge to clean up the milkshake that TCS spilled in the back - maybe I should get the silicone rolling pin award today *LOL*

I have tried to get things done using my usual approach: a little every day; but the Christmas stuff just isn't coming together. Tomorrow, I have served notice, I will be spending the entire day doing the usual dreaded Christmas letter and all the cards. One fell Swoop. Just like a Snowy Owl (what a great story that is!). And I have also told the gang that I want the computer for a whole day just to Idyll! I can take the time to photograph my decorations, post my favourite recipes, show the Christmas dishes....Heaven! A whole day!!!

Mary, may I ask how old David is? It is wonderful to me that he is displaying such talent and dedication and yet isn't quite big enough for a full sized instrument until now. How proud you must be!

Oh 'Bug, sorry for laughing but the image of not being able to turn around fast enough cracked me right up this morning! I sure hope you are feeling better tonight!

Man, there's no way we are keeping a cold house here! Our windows are covered with ice tonight...the kind of night that is great for having Chicken and Dumplings and a glass of red - which is what we did! But I'm with Saucy - we have a lot of baked potatoes in the winter!

Anyway, gotta run, like always...but my day will be done after I kiss TCS goodnight!

Cheers, Julie

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

The only thing I've read so far is Julie's post about Ajax and the treadmill. And I can't stop laughing over the vision of the poor dog trotting along on the treadmill! Perhaps Sr. Phil also will install some astroturf so Ajax can take care of his other needs without going outside?

LOL!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Probably past everyones bedtime, except Michelle and V, our resident night owls.
    I am looking through some garden books and found some photos of a garden called 'Water Run' that is supposedly somewhere along the Hudson in NY. The photos were fabu, so I googled but came up empty. Are any of you NE folk familiar with this ? Do you know what town it's in and if there is a website ?

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

I do not know of the garden you mentioned, Kathy. Sounds like a job for Monique, Sue, maybe one of the legion of lurkers?

I think Ajax on a treadmill is retty funny, too, Julie. One of the best things I ever did was buy a computer for the helpmeet with some of the money my late aunt left me. He loves it and I'm free to poke along uninterrupted here. The interior of our 'frig. is revolting. There are several spill rings that have been there for a VERY long time and there is probably some liquified vegetable matter buried in a crisper. I figure the cold keeps any living mung under control and one day either the helpmeet or I will decide it's time to clean it thoroughly. I've done really well using the JulieJob concept, trouble is, much of that "culled" fails to get as far as the kerb on trash day. Hmmm... my little packrat seems to be in full winter mode... stashing and hording those items that look too "useful" to throw away. I think that's how we managed to get into this predicament in the first place. I feel bad for TCS. He must feel crummy, let's hope he perks up soon.

The weather forecast is downright unpleasant, snow, sleet, and freezing rain (my favorite). There are warnings of power outtages, really nasty driving, etc. (nice to have a Christmas party tonight). It's always a crap shoot as to what we get here since the ocean tends to keep things warmer. But the cold air pouring into the area and the warm air flooding north above it is the perfect recipe for freezing rain. Well, at least there's plenty of wood and we have oil for the lamps.

Last night I spent some quality time with my Easter White Pine cone stash. I wired a bunch of them (congratulating myself of the foresight to cut the florist wire before handling the very pitchy cones) and added some staples to the backs of my simulated fruit stock. I probably should have collected some greens last night. I haven't begun assembling them yet, but that's the easiest part of the operation.

I hope whatever invaded 'bug's GI tract has since vacated it and today is better than yesterday.

On that note, I'm off to perform more meaningless work. The sort of work that leaves you tired, bored, and not feeling like actually doing the fun stuff you daydreamt about doing during the day. ;)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

{{gwi:190981}}

Now this is the way I like my squirrels. :-)

Good morning, two weeks from today it will be Christmas. We still need to do a little shopping. This would be a fun way to go shopping but we still have no snow...

{{gwi:190983}}

Well...I am out of chit chat this morning...so I will leave it to all of you and be back later...

pm2

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Ajax on the treadmill -- egads.... Im impressed he took to it within an hour! He must be in desperate need of pretend exercise, LOL. Like V's idea of astroturf - altho a large cat box would work as well (the city pooches can be littered trained; why not the large ones? -- but still, there is cleaning pickup involved....

Thanks for the recipe for the trifle, PM -- I do love fruit in mine, so the idea of some raspberries sounds perfect on the rest of the confection.

Raining those cats and dogs here too so no xmas tree; Im trying to deal with the "c'est la vie" concept - it will happen eventually. Glad to hear even Julie is having trouble getting it all organized and in stride for Xmas this year!

I did mean to comment earlier, Denise, re your house temps -- I think 40 degree house is taking it a bit too much ... maybe you Californians are trying to feel macho re the temps or something? Glad to hear Kathy is more reasonable -- bring on the warmth. I tried a couple winters ago to tough it out; but decided being warm in my own place was one thing Im willing to pay for and since I keep things down when Im at work, I think Im not sucking too much off the grid or out of the gas lines - esp with the new furnace. In a 3-level townhouse though, it's always been a challenge to get temps even - I still wear a sweater in certain parts - at leat this year my bedroom is not freezing (which leads to more migraines..not a good way to wake up!).

I heard from the former houseguest that (no surprise) she's decided to head south to Florida where her daughter and spouse live -- I suspect she'll be staying w/ them for a bit but Im hopeful she'll be able to find a job most importantly - have no idea what the market is doing in Jacksonville in the legal arena -- but I know the daughter has a large house so if nothing else, she'll have a roof over her head and loving support. I know she's missed being near her daughter. I guess she's heading out very soon. She's had boat loads of turmoil in her life in the last number of years; I just hope she can find some success and peace in Fla. So I dont have to worry about being "strong" and saying no, thank goodness!

I hope Gardenbug is feeling better, are you, 'bug? I heard in this area the stomach flu has reared its ugly head already; Maryland has reported large cases of it -- ya think they'll be nice and keep it over the border away from Virginia, LOL?

I need to go grab some breakfast; didnt make any before I left this a.m.

Happy Thursday.

Cindy

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Yes, Christmas definitely overwhelms the JJ approach. The tree has been outside soaking in a bucket all week, and there are post-it notes with to-do lists accumulating. Basic stuff, shopping, cards, hasn't been done. The only task that preys on me is cards, since some years I don't get to them at all. If there's no young kids to shop for, I take a pretty relaxed view about the holidays...I'd love an early morning trip to the downtown commercial flower market. And I want to make tamales this year. We'll see...

Ajax, an idyll hero is born. What an inspiration! Repairs to the siding of the house have necessitated unscrewing the hatches that keep the critters from getting under the house, which is a sun-deprived lunar landscape of a white substance that in a previous life was once soil. We watched Ein duck inside the opening yesterday and disappear for a corgie-size adventure in the crawlspace. Marty's been doing lots of plumbing in the crawlspace, shimmying around like a snake in the tight quarters.

And I double-checked with Marty last night, and he said the coldest temp in the house has been low 50s, so the gauge I checked yesterday morning was an outlier. As I've been trying to delicately hint without belaboring, I'm running a little "warm" this year, so the cooler temps suit me fine, and everyone else is "fired" up to see how long we can go.

Rain supposedly heading here too, Kathy, fingers crossed! The last predicted rain passed us by. For some reason I never equated V's trip to Los Cabos with Baja, Cabo San Lucas, but the comment on whales finally brought it into focus.

Read a long piece on memory on the metro in the NY Review of books. Red wine, blueberries, almonds, fish oil -- the search for the compound to keep the synapses firing goes on. But what has been definitively proven is that aerobic exercise "promotes new cell growth in old brains by increasing their blood volume."

Move over, Ajax!

waving...

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone,

Well all the fuchsias are now in the basement but the banana and the brugs are still in the garage waiting for me to feel like lugging them down the basement stairs. I continue to shake my head at myself in wonder at my silliness for wintering over all this stuff. Last evening I spent some quality time looking through my garden photo galleries from last summer to convince myself that yes, Deanne, it really is worth hauling the rest of that stuff downstairs LOL. It really is time and past time to get them snuggled in. The kerosene heater is acting up and Im thinking will need repairs so if we get a serious freeze and it dies Im out of luck.

Marian, youd asked about the fumes from the heater, the garage is not air tight so that hasnt been a problem. I wouldnt use it in the house without some kind of serious venting system.

Chelone, you mentioned our charming weather reports; we are under a "Severe Winter Storm Watch" until tomorrow morning. They are predicting sleet, icing and freezing rain with the possibility of power outages. Yukko!!!!! Although Ill have some great ice storm bird photo ops. LOL

Ive not put up a single decoration yet and am waiting to become inspired. Hopefully Ill burst into a flurry of activity and get the house cleaned and decorated at light speed. For some reason Im not much feeling like spending two days decorating so I can just take t all down in a couple weeks. Ive not done any cards or bought a single present yet either. If I dont leap into action soon Ill be in big trouble! LOL

On the pet news front, the cats, primarily Luke are on a diet. Lukie has blown up to around 17 pounds this fall and he seriously has to lose some weight. So they are getting specific portions twice a day and no food bowls down all day. They are driving me nuts! LOL

I had to LOL over the thought of dogs on a treadmill! Too funny.

OK Ive got to leap into action and get to work. Time to water the plants. Have a great day all
    Deanne

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Good morning all!

Yes, yucky weather on tap for us - just rain for now here in Cambridge, hopefully messy stuff will hold off until I can get home tonite.

Count me as another one that has done no holiday decorating so far. Putting up the tree this year will involve some serious re-arranging (the drum set and robot work table have taken over former tree spots) or putting the tree next to the TV which DH finds distracting (maybe he'll be OK if the lights don't blink). I don't get excited about dragging all that stuff out and then putting it away again. The rest of the family does help, but I end up being the director.

Chelone, I have to say I admire your industry and hard work in the Salon! I'm sure it will look beautiful when it is done. Can't wait to check it out in person!

Deanne, all the work you do with your plants is definitely worth it. Your CG Brugs is stunning, and it would take you years to grow another one to that size. I have to say my small collection in the basement is looking OK so far. I am watering the dormant fuchsias a bit more (instead of forgetting about them in the corner) and watering the cuttings less. Some are even ready for bigger pots already!

That dog whisperer guy on the Nat Geo channel puts dogs on a treadmill for more exercise. They look pretty happy about it for the most part. Wow, dogs on a treadmill, cats on a diet, I'm starting to feel like a lazy slug!

DD's school band concert was last night - they were really terrific! She played tympani on one number, I love the sound of those drums. I am so grateful that the school has a good music program, the kids really enjoy it. My DS started playing the trombone this year (he loves it), and has his first concert next week. There is a huge difference between 6th grade band (DS) and 8th grade band (DD).

Well, duty calls - just wanted to stop in and say hello - waving to all!

-Wendy

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Well, today is Card Day and the men have been told that I will be at the computer all day checking addresses, writing the dreaded Christmas letter, and getting the cards ready to be mailed tomorrow. They have been tasked with "everything upstairs",this includes any dishes, cleaning, bed-making, laundry etc. that is usually done by me. I am pleased to report that the upstairs is vacuumed the dishes are in the dishwasher, the beds are made (well, the way menfolk make them anyway),things are more or less tidy, Ajax has been treadmilled, and I am free to continue with this job, which has not been done since we moved here in 2005.

Are you feeling better 'bug? (In more ways than one; or even two *LOL*). Thanks for the e-mails - gives us some insight concerning the growing up of a youngster in today's world.

PM2 - that's the way I like my squirrels too!

Wendy - I love it when schools provide a little something "extra" like music. Here a lot of schools don't have band activity until grade 9, but our school is fortunate to be brand new and has a music room with instruction for the upper grades (6,7,8). We have always had music in our home, and our children, and now our grandson, have always had the advantage of music instruction and just plain family enjoyment. Such a lifetime gift!!

Oh Man do we have snow!! 30 cm. yesterday - about 12". I just LOVE not having to go out to work! Added to that, the nearest city (Ottawa Ontario) is experiencing its first transit strike in about ten years. Coupled with a snow storm, nothing is going anywhere. The transit union is kind of asking a lot IMHO, but then, I'm not there, not affected, not really up on all of the issues. But it sure is not a nice week to live in the Nation's Capital. And I won't even venture into Canada's politics!!

If I go crazy sitting down here doing cards, I might try to get a photo or two outside...I must admit ahat although cold, it is very beautiful right now. And a lot of people do nice lighting at this time of year, and it is lovely.

On this cheery note, I will depart until tomorrow. I am not sure if tomorrow will be the much-heralded Idyll day, as family is going nuts without me (hehehe), but maybe.

Take care, all. Deanne - get those plants in!!!

Cheers, Julie

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling behind on their Christmas to to lists. I have most of the decorations up, the tree's up but not decorated and we still haven't put up Bella's little tree in "her room". I'm telling myself to take my time and enjoy the process. It's so worth it when I see her little face closely inspecting everything. She just loves it all. Tomorrow Jen and I are getting together for lunch and discussing the menu for Christmas dinner and who's making what. Christmas will be at her house again this year. I'm blaming all of the rush on the fact that it's such a short season from Thanksgiving until Christmas this year. I still have shopping to do too and that I'm not looking forward to.

Eden

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Weird time for me to be here but it's the time I have.

Must say that Ajax is a better sport than me.

I want the chocolate with the ribbons -- gotta wonder what's inside!!!

Rich says "thanks" and actually enjoyed using his creativeness for a bit. Now, of course, I'm waiting for him to finish everything else. LOL

No tree here this year and that's absolutely Okay since I've got enough plants in the house that if I get sentimental I'll just throw some lights on them. (I can hear you from here, Kathy, about lights on Eucs :-) The ivy tope will also be decorated, of course.

That's darn cold, Denise. Is Marty practicing for a trip to Holyoke?

Just rain here today but listening to the ice warnings all around us. Hope everyone getting pelted is okay and the lights stay on.

Woody -- Ky is applying for jobs worldwide as either a Historian or an Economist. In the US both really need Master's for positions that pay above minimum wage. Europe holds much better options but he can't get his work Visa until he has a job and he can't get a job until he has his work Visa. One alternative is to move to London for the three months he can be there without a Visa and hope to find something. He is looking at grad schools in the US and Japan, but wants to get some $$ together first if possible before he goes "back". He knows the dangers of waiting but is determined to eventually get his PhD so I'm not too worried. I think if no job comes through and a school offers him a teaching assistant position paid, that's where he'll be for Econ masters. Nothing like starting "real life" in this period of time :-(

Great gingerbread story: My brilliant, always straight-A's, award winning teacher sister decided to make gingerbread people for her class. She needed 12 cookies. She found a great recipe. Recipe said it would make 15 2" cookies but she had a 4" cutter so she doubled the recipe to have enough. After mixing, got to the end of the recipe and read "freeze half for later use, and roll thinner for larger cookies." So, guess who's going to be decorating myriad gingerbread folks for the entire neighborhood and work kids I know??? LOL -- sometimes formal "brains" don't mean squat.

Still waiting for the dress pic, Brenda.

Hoping all sniffles and coughing and stomach bugs and other ailments get gone fast, and waving to all.

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I've only ordered one gift so far. We scamper around at the last minute every year. I am trying to think of some ideas for pet gifts for DS's animals. Anyone have any suggestions?

pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Hi folks!

I think I was afflicted with food poisoning rather than the flu...it lasted a very short time and I am feeling better in many ways...though have other painful ailments that I'll save you all from....

Last night I enjoyed reading a blog entry about saying "no". I think it relates well to what many of us here are saying about Julie Jobs and the feeling of never finishing anything and having time for what is important. So I attach it here:

Monday, December 08, 2008
    Saying no: the essential gesture of stewardship
    A few weeks ago I got invited to a "women in business" luncheon put on by the business school where my husband teaches part-time. I thought about declining since my skills from managing this crazy household might just be too advanced compared to the women who are only CEO's or VP's of large companies, but when I saw the topic I realized it was an answered prayer: Finding Balance.

The guest speaker was a professor at the school who is known for getting standing ovations at the end of his classes, so I had high expectations about his presentation. And I wasn't disappointed. He covered a lot of territory, too much to summarize in a blog post, but the main thing he said that has stuck with me ever since is this:

To say no is to protect what you've said yes to.

He referred to being able to say no to new demands on your time as "the essential gesture of stewardship." In other words, if you're going to be a good steward of the responsibilities you've already been given, you must learn to set firm limits on how many other responsibilities you can realistically take on. In other words, you must learn to say no.

I thought this was a refreshing way to look at it. I've always thought of having to turn down requests to get involved in some new activity as an entirely difficult, negative proposition, but this helps me see it in a more positive light. When I say no to getting involved in that new parish ministry, I'm really saying yes to the commitment I've made to spend evenings hanging out with my husband; when I say no to creating an elaborate website for a friend, I'm saying yes to the commitment I made to put my heart into an article that's due next month; when I say no to joining some friends for a playdate this week, I'm saying yes to the commitment I made to have more relaxed time with my children where we're not rushing around to get somewhere; and so on.

I think that this message was truly an answered prayer. After my great to-do-list-slashing session in January I found such great peace, but in the past eleven months I've slowly let myself get overbooked again, leaving me back to feeling overwhelmed, like I'm so far behind on everything that I'm drowning.

So the questions I've been asking myself over the past few weeks are: "What are the essential responsibilities that I have said yes to?" And, therefore, "What do I need to start saying no to?"

After thinking about it for a long time, the answers I came up with to the second question were interesting and surprising. I'm out of blogging time for this morning, so I'll share them in an upcoming Part II of this post.

This morning I went to yet another naturopath visit and am really excited about getting things finalized and beginning my program. That may happen next week. The fact that she is excited too makes me hopeful. She has targeted 3 areas to focus on. I think that perhaps three months of this will give some hint as to whether or not I am headed in a good direction. Certainly I was never this hopeful with my physician.

On our return home, DH and i stopped "at the mall" for lunch. This was my first exposure to the mobs and Christmas music for 2008. I have zero enthusiasm for decorating this year and hope to have a little more "oomph" once I arrive at DD's house. As far as gifts, I have ordered two subscriptions for Skyler for magazines: Spider and Ask. Check out the site below if you are curious. Skyler really enjoys time alone with his magazines and photo journals I send him, so I like to encourage "alone time" which I feel makes for a happy adult.

This is way too long already. More later!
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

It's miserable outside. Cold, rainy, and now it's freezing on just about everything. I have this survivalist thing about having plenty of gas in the car when the weather gets crummy, so I went to the gas station on my way home. There were several "big rigs" in the lot that were nicely coated with ice, though the roads were just wet at that point. I came straight home, noting the rapidly deteriorating road conditions. I called work to give them a traffic update, but the machine was on so everyone must've flown the coop, too. GOOD! The Christmas soiree has been postponed (yay!) and the stove is now turning oak splits into cozy heat. :) And I'm having coffee (longing for an eclair or something similar, though). Not much traffic going by the Compound right now...

I've done no Christmas shopping either, but like you, Denise, I have a pretty laid back approach to it all, too. I get a kick out of decorating the facade of our domicile, but if I put the stuff up a week before I'm fine with it. There's plenty of time left, you guys!

I chuckled at the personal thermostat running a bit to the warm side... I tend to experience the quick pink facial flush. It's always chilly at work when it's overcast or windy outdoors (the windows leak terribly) and coming home and being warm is truly a luxury. I love our woodstove.

My father was a plumbing/heating contractor and he used to tell some really grand stories about crawlspaces... like rolling over to grab the trouble light and looking directly at Mr. Snake's forked tongue about 4" from his nose... or the rather large spiders dangling over his head... or a rotting prey item abandonned by something else, lol. All the sorts of things an adventurous Corgi would find intriguing.

I'm thinking it may be time to go out to the Salon and putter around with my pretend fruit stand. Later!

OH, Woody, I meant to ask you what all the oddly placed characters in your post of yesterday mean? I noted the rather precise placement of them and immediately wondered if they are connected to enhanced communication for the deaf? Would you kindly "explicate"?

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Wow, life is sure busy here. I havent had much time for posting but Im following along. Personally I like the idea of the "NO" blog, but at work it really doesnt work to say no to the boss ;o)

The house is slowly getting decorated. I put up a few less decorations than usual, but then added the pillars. This year we will have Ricks kids over on Christmas Eve and Christmas day looks like it will just be my parents and us. Maybe Jeremy will show up, but since his GFs family lives a couple of hours the other direction from us Im not sure.

Im trying to think of something easy but special to serve on Christmas day. None of my siblings are coming for Christmas Eve or day which is a first. Im sure my mom will be a little down about that. My sister from WI will come in sometime late on the 25th.

Last night our Bible study group had our party. A lovely candle light meal and revealing of our Secret Pals by giving them a Christmas gift. We also have a nice program of group singing, a trio and several numbers by a small group of which I was part.

We will try to wrap up the shopping on Saturday. Im thinking a nice lunch out would be fun. Theres a local restaurant that Id like to try.

Break time is over.

Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Chelone - those funny characters suddenly appeared when I did a cut-and-paste from Word. I'm not sure what went wrong where but they were supposed to be things like ' or - or ! or other punctuation marks. When I got the new computer a short while ago, I upgraded to Office 2007 and that upgraded Word and Excel. I don't like the new version at all. That was the first time I did a cut-and-paste from the new Word so maybe it has something to do with the new version - I'm not sure....

It was a very mild day here today; I don't want any of the nasty weather the east coast - or Julie's area - to come my way!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should have specified during our earlier discussion of Christmas music: I never listen to it till Christmas Eve- although I will sometimes put a couple of them into a 6 disc magazine when I am decorating the tree. I believe I will purchase a small tree this weekend-not the "bank tree" that I usually go for this is our family terminology for the jumbo size trees .Seems like banks always had big uns. Fortunately I have my trusty employee discount.

DS is off to The City tonight to see Phantom of the Opera , think its his third time. Hes quite excited about it. We are a big Broadway musical family I brought my kids up on them just like I was , so they are well versed in Rogers and Hammerstein, Steven Sondheim , etc. Frosty mornings continue here, quite tame by most of your standards..

Chelone, I highly recommend fridge cleaning-its almost (almost) fun once you get into it, and having a clean fridge is very pleasant indeed. It is way less horrible a job than cleaning the garage or a bathroom IMHO.

Cindy, maybe we Californians are in some sort of denial and thus try to tough it out with our heat regimen. However, the other sad truth is that houses here were built to very low energy standards at one time , mine included. I have replaced about 90 percent of the woefully crappy windows , but general building codes were pretty lax when my house was constructed in the 80s. So the heat, when it is on, is not very efficient. Thank god for long johns. Good to hear that houseguest has found a living arrangement that will help her through her troubles-and one that does not involve you and the long-suffering Chloe.

Denise , I have wanted to do tamales at Christmas for years. If red wine is a memory enhancer , I should be near photographic.

Deanne, what if you took the banana out of the pot and just basically pushed it down the stairs ? Of course, youd have to get it back up again in the spring. Some ropes and the Harvard Rowing Team perhaps ??? I got my first book today from Walgreens. It turned out great !! Thanks again for sharing that with us at IU5. In case you missed the post, I am putting 3 of them together for gifts this Christmas.

Hi Wendy ! I hear you on the diff between the musicians in 6th and 8th grade. High school is a big improvement too. My DS was a choir guy, and I enjoyed those concerts so much.

So Julie are you going to regale us with the text of aforementioned Christmas letter ? We may be a pretty critical audience ! Will you say that TCS has been invited into the masters program at the local University and that the Phils remain incredibly handsome, witty , athletic and charming ?

Marie, several years ago my boss was the CFO of my company, and he asked me one day exactly how many special projects and committees I was on (a lot). He told me that it was time for me start saying no . That was somewhat of a turning point in my career- I was involved in so much that it diluted my effectiveness. To this day I remember his advice and always say no when I think I need to.

Well, Im going to have some chow and read the paper

Wave to all..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Woody, I have an older version of Word, but I get funny characters when I make a smiley face using :-) In my program it changes it to a cute smiley face, but when I copy and paste it here it screws up the whole post.

I just came up from the basement and my report on the plants are that some are loving it under the lights and others have given up the ghost.

'bug, I'm quite interested in what the naturopath will recommend for you and what types of things they can help with.

I was just reading in our electric company's magazine that there are some tax credits in '09 for certain energy efficient improvements to your home. We got in on one last year with our new storm door. We are thinking of new upstairs windows.

DD called to say that they saw an armadello today. Kenzie was pretty excited.

I'm off to book a room at the inn for tomorrow night (really just a motel) DH suggested it. In the past we've gone on Friday night, shopped a little, ate and then relaxed in the hot tub. In the morning more relaxing with coffee and the paper and finish shopping. Oh, throw in a bottle of wine too.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Well...we pushed ourselves after dinner to get out and check a few things off the list. It is not bad here...raining steadily but not close to freezing at this point. I'm making an attempt to make a cozy place for the two kids visiting over the holiday to sleep. Since they both moved out and took their bedroom sets, now it's the couch and they don't usually visit at the same time. So I thought maybe an air mattress might work out fine in one of the bedrooms. We brought one home from the store tonight. It has one of those pumps that inflate and deflate. We'll have it here and they can decide if they want to use it or not and if not, it will go back after the holiday. We managed to pick up a few more gifts.

Now I am looking up pet toys. Last time I walked into a pet toy department in a major retailer, I was disgusted with what is being offered. They still offer rawhide chews after all the trouble they have been. I don't trust any of the plastic toys. I worry about squeaker toys. It just doesn't make sense to me to allow your dog to chew on something you wouldn't think was a good idea for you to chew on. Then all the alarm over the pet toys made in China, with the lead found in them. So, I am finding a few websites for 'eco friendly' and 'organic' pet toy offerings, but it is time consuming and you still have to think about what they are offering too. One USA manufacturer has developed toys stuffed with filling made from recycled plastic bottles which the manufacturing process has turned into this fluffy filling similar to polyester fill. Ok, so that is eco friendly, but dogs rip open the toys and could eat the filling, so why would I want my dog eating plastic, regardless of how fluffy they have made it or how great it is that the plastic bottles are staying out of the landfill. If plastic bottles are so bad, why not just stop making plastic bottles. Okay, I am getting off my soap box now [g].

I found a Hemp stuffed toy and some organic catnip stuffed cat toys using organic cotton coverings. Some deer antler chew toys and an organic wool ball, linked below. I'm also trying to find some that are made in the USA, which this one is.

With that, time to call it a day...two weeks is really going to go by fast.

Another Williamsburg image...

{{gwi:190985}}

And a Vintage Old Fashioned Christmas scene...

{{gwi:190986}}

Good night... :-)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

WEll, the ice is a half inch thick out there and we lost power an hour ago. Doug got the generator running. Thank heavens he's home this time! It's been sounding like fireworks outside but it's the sound of trees breaking and crashing down. I'm thinking we are going to be without power for a while this time.

Tomorrow is supposed to warm up to forty and get another couple inches of rain, then, tomorrow night will go down to 13! What is with this weather? Strange that there is no power but we still have cable. Go figure.

OK I guess I'll try to get back to sleep now.

HOpe all the folks in the ice zone stay safe!
    Nite all
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

It's still pouring here and just about 36 degrees so no ice yet. So sorry about all the ice Deanne. I'd rather have 10 ft of snow. I hope none of your garden trees are damaged. Wow...that you have a generator. That comes in handy.

I would like a photo of Ajax on the treadmill. :-)

Sorry Kathy...I looked and couldn't find anything on that 'Water Run' garden either. It's nice that DS has caught the musical bug. Great to share common interests with your kids.

We are putting up our tree, hopefully on Sunday. That is when all the decorations will go up. DS and DD will help with it all and we will make a day of it with dinner together. We like to have them up for 2 weeks before Christmas and until New Year's Day when we usually put it all away. Three weeks is enough for us and by then the tree is shedding. Just the door wreath remains all winter.

Denise...there was a great program on PBS called 'Change Your Brain, Change Your Life'. Fascinating.

Julie...good for you, I think when family has to get along without you for a day or two, they come to appreciate what you routinely do, a little more. :-)

Eden, I am feeling the crunch too and starting to think that maybe next year, I will ask for everyone's list by Halloween instead of Thanksgiving.

Martie...my begonia topiary is more of a standard and has about 10 leaves on it with three more coming. It's looking okay, but I was expecting more by now. I don't think I have enough sunlight in the winter months. I hope Ky finds just the job he wants.

Enjoyed the 'NO' blog Gardenbug. It is not an issue for me at this point but it has been at other times in my life. Knowing you need to maintain balance and doing it are two different things. I do like the way this concept was presented in this article. Much easier to grasp.

Chelone....do you have ice where you are?

Hello Wendy. :-)

Friday again....amazing how fast this week went by. By this time two weeks from now, Christmas will be behind us.

Have a great day...
    pm2

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

As of this morning there is not a single decoration up here either though that will change this weekend. Like Chelone, I love making everything look festive but am totally relaxed about when it actually gets done. And if something doesn't make it up - there is always another year. We are slated to get the tree this weekend, a ritual we all look forward to, so that will get us started.

I've been somewhat busy making gifts (felt ornaments, cards, beading, knitted dishcloths). However, most of the spare moments I can grab I've been indulging myselt in a miniatures project - a Christmas eve scene. After all the heavy work on the bathrooms, working with tiny things again is pure joy and utterly addictive. Right now I'm putting glazing in 6 inch bay windows and wiring minute 1 inch wall sconces. It is so, so, so much fun.

I too will be writing a Christmas letter as soon as the minature is done as it makes keeping up with distance friends so much easier. However, it is such a cringe inducing form of communication it takes me several goes to get something I can bear to send out. And Kathy - NO! it will not be for Idyll consumption LOL!

Julie - I think you asked how old David is? He is twelve and in every way a very typical boy. He is very proud of the fact that eight out of the ten rings tones on his cell phone are fart noises, but he can play the guitar with such sensitivty it brings tears to my eyes.

Michelle - relaxing in a hot tub and a night away together sounds a lovely way spend a shopping weekend. those things are so important and special to do together. Hope you enjoy:0)

I need to get going - today is my short day at work and a friend is taking me out for a belated birthday lunch. Yay!

Happy Friday

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A quick pass here....

PM2, I agree about the difficulty in finding solid toys for pets. The catnip mice for cats...with tiny eyeballs and whiskers that fall off, are simply a no go. In fact cat toys are very difficult here because the dog wants them too! They would cause serious problems for Phoebe!

For the dog, the ONLY thing that works well are the BLACK Kong toys. These are the strongest version of their toys. Because of her large jaw, her size, her incredible need to chew...these are all that works...(other than quilts, my desk, rugs, etc..) ;)

More later....
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy Friday all -- I think we may luck out and get little, if possible, no ice - had a ton of rain and it appears maybe a flake or two - no more than an inch....I'd love for it to stop for me to cruise & grab a tree for DD to help me put up tomorrow when she's at my house to do our cookie bakathon.

Working on the spirit thing - but the dysfunctional relatives in PA seem determined to ruin this December too like last year's - after 2 phone calls from dear old Dad discussing old unresolved distribution of family jewelry (none of it valuble but just sentimental) issues -- I just finally said I refused to let them ruin my December and I wont talk about or dont want to hear from anyone about the issues - January 5, 2009 is plenty of time. If they want to continue to make themselves crazy, so be it... I think that was saying no and putting a stop -- and working on my Yes projects, LOL. Why anyone would think 2 weeks before Xmas is a pleasant, appropriate time to argue about dividing of personal property I do not understand... call me weird -- but it's my personal stress button and Im not letting it get pushed this year.

Michelle -- here's an idea I've done a few times -- I think it works best for smaller groups anyhow -- how about doing fondue w/ your parents on Xmas? I do just cheese with my vegetarian DD and her spouse (w/ fruit fondue /chocolate for dessert); I've added a pot for meat fondue if I have a stray or two meat eater. It's fairly easy, simple, laid back and we've all enjoyed it - it's become a bit of a tradition now for either Xmas or Xmas eve. I imagine other idyllers have some great ideas like that as well.

Glad to hear you got your plants laid to rest in bed, Deanne; despite the huge amount of work -- it definitely holds lots of rewards -- for you -- and for us, LOL.... Im glad to hear Doug's with you to share in the cosy,chilly icy weather there. Stay safe.

Glad you did the turn-around thing, Chelone, and headed home! Sounds like lots of snuggling will be going on today in New England.

Wendy, I think it's great your kids love music -- the "arts" so suffer when schools have to cut budgets -- I heard that those "extras" as usual in this area are slated on the chopping blocks because of the times -- but it's sooo important for kids to be exposed to these things. For me, when I was growing up -- it was drama; I loved it; I sang but really shouldnt too; but it was the school theatre programs that gave me such reward. My DD felt more inspired in the art area - painting, etc.

Glad to hear you're feeling more the thing, 'bug -- I look forward to hearing some of the naturapath info you pick up; I have a friend who's gone to one recently for her migraines - I think they were working on her taking magnesium as she supposedly had low levels. I know my friend said she was feeling more energetic, even if the headaches had not yet improved.

Hmm, upon reflection - it appears I have a lot to be glad about today, LOL.... Im obviously stuck on that word - make it the word of the day...
    Well, gotta lot to get thru here today. Im looking forward to baking cookies this weekend - havent done that probably in more than 5 years...wow.

Cindy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Good morning all.....
    I wish it were a 'good morning' for all in the path of the winter storm....espacially the ice and power outings!
    Deanne, that is terrible for you. I heard the report about New Hampshire on TV this morning.

I will be going back to town today or tomorrow to stock up some more. There were some items I failed to get Tuesday, and an ice storm is predicted for us for Monday and Tuesday. I don't expect to get to town next week! And Tuesday is to be the last GY class for the year. :-(

I also need to get my monthly B-12 shot. I have started having leg cramps while in bed...that seems to indicate the need of a shot.

Deanne, I know exactly how you feel about bringing in all the outdoor potted plants. But not only do I want to have the deck and front yard scene again next spring, I also enjoy seeing them indoors. There does come days when I wonder why I have them all, and dread having to water them all. Thank God for the cement floor in the utility/plant room, with the drain in the floor! I spacially enjoy the recurring blooms all winter.
    Long towards spring I get awfully antsy before it is warm enough to put them out.

Marie, I sure hope your DH is not starting to have memory problems...i.e., a touch of senility. It happens to so many, as you well know. Nolon's mind problems come and go. He has been doing fine for a while now. I have problems also. Some of my worst are connected with my fibro and the meds.
    Glad your illness was short lived. Nolon calls that condition "puzzle gut" !

V, Good to see you back safe and sound! I can imagine the temp change shock! I am looking forward to pics, and reports. :-)

Pm2....shame, shame ! Placing all those temptations before us! I can almost feel my digestive problems flairing up when I see those pics!
    The 3 GDs are : Savannah Autumn, Brianna Madison, and Hannah Claire! I think they are all pretty names.

Chelone, funny that we both overslept Weds morning. It was after 7 when I awoke, after being awake for a couple of hours or more during the night. I was concerned about Nolon's take on my lateness, but he said it was no problem. The cats were not raising a ruckus either.... It was a cold frosty morning, and they were sleeping contentedly.
    Our first woodshed was similar to yours...a roofed shed attached to the back of the house, where our deck is now. If my memory is correct, it had the green corrugated fiberglasss on it. Nolon utilized lots of stuff that came off of his jobs.
    Neither my mother or my dad were teasers. Our son goes to extremes with it, with his girls. So much of what he says is in the form of teasing, I don't know how they can believe anything he says to them! I think 'rapier wits' would be a good definition of what he says, too. I really think he takes it too far. But they seem to love it.
    As for 'punching ' some one...I slapped a teen age boy on the school bus, because of his constant picking on me. We became friends after that. :-)
    The interior of my frig is beginning to look like yours. I haven't given it a good cleaning since I bought it...and I think that was about 2 1/2 years ago! Right now it is so full, I cannot get the pot of beans in, without setting it on top of a bunch of jelly and other jars.

Martie...that is a very pretty wreath.

Woody, Your post IS rather strang looking. I have seem others's that have looked like that. Now I know why. I had no problem reading it...and soon hardly noticed the strange symbols. :-) I DID keep wondering if V was thinking you were talking to her...LOL.
    Sorry to hear of Jasper's final trip. It is sad when that happens.

Denese, it gets down to the mid 50s in our house. I used to have no problem with that, and was mainly concerned with my tropical plants. Now it seems too cold! My old body is not taking it as well as it used to.
    I had to laugh about diners asking to be moved from where you sat with your relatives! My GDs embarrassed me at times, in restaurants, but nobody moved away from us because of them (that I know of).

Julie, I chuckled at the thought of Ajax on the treadmill also. I have seen the videos of cats on treadmills. They are hilarious.
    Chicken and dumplings sound good, and I almost put a chicken to cook for that purpose, but decided to go with another pot of pinto beans and ham hocks. I started them yesterday, and will continue the cooking of them on the wood stove this morning. We finished off the last of the turkey chowder a couple of days ago. It was so good, and went down so well, I hated to see it end. :-)
    I have had a turkey in the side by side for months now, and did not cook it for Thanksgiving, for fear it may not be all that good by now, but the label says "Best if used by 4 27 09", so it should be fine. I got it out and am thawing it in the refrigerator. I love turkey, and all that can be made from it. It takes about a week to thaw in my frig.
    Wow! 12 inches of snow! We very seldom have it that deep here.

Mary, what is the weather like in your area?

Okay, I had better not push my luck....

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Just rain here. I'll take it over what many of you are getting. Could only get Nick to go out this morning so I had two poops and a tinkle to clean up when I got out of the shower...and a partridge in a pear tree...lol.

No internet at home this week. My laptop got attacked by a nasty virus and is currently down in the IT department and has been all week. My work laptop won't synch with my cable internet at home, wireless or hard wired. I hate this technoid crap.

Weird event of the week...an old boyfriend who I haven't seen or heard from in over 25 years called and left a message on my work phone yesterday. I finally connected with him this morning. He asked if I would be willing to read a long letter if he sent it to me. Says he's been married since 1989 and has a 14 year old daughter but thoughts of me just started flooding into his head this past summer. What is it with men? This is the second old, old boyfriend who has popped out of the woodwork in three months. I waved off the first one with a "hi, hope life has treated you well" e-mail. Apparently mid life crises are alive and well. Anyway...my boss told me I should have told this guy no letter but I'm just too nosy...lol.

Gotta run,

Sue

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Yes Sue, mid life crises are alive and well and for women too. DS has had two very serious requests in the last 2 months to father children... Sigh..Some things never change.

On the home front, I'm hoping that tonight we can convene and talk about gifts for the gang this season. I like Michelle's approach to that, but it isn't going to happen here! I'm with DD on this topic: giving things you never thought to ask for can often be the best...if well thought out. But I'm not one to like new vacuums for Christmas. On the other hand, a truckload of compost is a great gift. Go figure!

Phoebe needs me now...so later!
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Im not going to comment on old boyfriends ghosting out of the woodwork, Sue, LOL, but I did think this is very fitting in light of the household misdemeanors occurring at your residence. V had suggested something like this for Ajax -- I suspect we could use on a lot of our pets... Isnt it amazing what folks think up these days....

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago
  • deanneart
    15 years ago

Well we survived the night but Oh what a mess there is. The sound of cracking and crashing trees went on and on through the night and through the morning. Anywyere there are white pine trees it looks like a war zone. WE had many, many huge tree limbs come down in the back. It broke branches off the Mountain Ash and Dogwood trees as well as trashing my Hydrangea paniculata tree. An enormous limb fell onto it and there are only three branches and a trunk left and the branches that are left are split. I don't know if it can be saved. We also had a ton of stuff come down in the shade garden were my urn collection 'used to be'. LOL Actually all but one survived. The tall urn in that collection got whacked and has a hole in the side. Looks like there might be a hole in the garage roof as well..... I'd take four feet of snow over this. I think the air at tree top level was colder than ground level because the branches that were coming down this morning had about 3/4" of ice on them while the branches closer to the ground had about half that much. I did run out and take a few pics this AM but haven't processed them yet. I'll post a couple later on. Still no electricity, thank heavens for the generator. The cable was out until a short time ago so I do have internet. Amazing!

Later all, from Icy NH
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Oh! Deanne. My heart bleeds for you. I know from experience how devestating ice storms can be. We are awaiting the posibility of one next week. We still have hanging limbs from the last one.

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Oh, Deanne! I hate to hear of the damage from the ice storm!You seem to get more than your share of storm damage :(

There is MASSIVE Christmas decorating going on at DD and FSIL's house. So much so that I'm wondering if I'll even bother setting up the tree here. She mentioned maybe having Christmas morning at their house, so....? Their house will be "dressed to the nines" for the wedding, so maybe we'll just take advantage of it. Moving the wedding up has kind of put me in a tail-spin. I don't know if it's "normal", but since I found out about DB's illness, I seem to have trouble focusing and accomplishing anything. As a rule, I have about 25 things "started", and that seems to be worse now.
    Today, I met with a photographer for the wedding. Lol, nothing like booking the photographer at the last minute, eh? What a great guy! If good Karma counts for anything, the wedding is going to be slathered in it! His work is beautiful, and he's done some good things with his talent to better the world. He went to South Africa to document the AIDS epidemic, and to Brazil to document the killing of homeless children. Turns out, he's good friends with the Chief of Plastic surgery for the Smile Train, which happens to be my favorite charity. He and another friend are working on a book to document people who are living in poverty in small towns all over America. His friend is paying the publishing costs, and all proceeds will go to the actual families that are photographed for the book. Coincidentally, just a few days ago, I ordered the Dorothea Lange print "Migrant Mother" for my yoga room. Her work was his inspiration for the book. We talked for 2 1/2 hours, and I left with the feeling that maybe, one of these days, everything will be okay. I am so very happy to have him involved in my little girl's wedding, and I expect he will be taking pictures of my grandchildren someday :) I seem to be running into a lot of "random good people" and small acts of kindness lately. The very best medicine for what ails me, I think.

Lol @ Ajax on the treadmill! DH and I love to watch the Dog Whisperer. Every once in a while, when DH is acting up I do a "CH" sound and poke him in the neck, lol!

'bug-if the midlife crisis is alive and well for women, I guess I'm glad mine involves skydiving ;) I can't imagine approaching an old boyfriend for a "donation". I'm sure it's flattering in a way, but WOW!

So much more to catch up on, but I PROMISED myself I was going to make time for yoga every day, and I haven't done that yet. Also, I haven't started Christmas shopping, and if I'm going to do any of it online, I'd better get busy.
    So, a wave and a hello to everyone!!
    Brenda
    Sidenote to Chelone....You'll be pleased to know that I'm going next week to be FITTED for a garment of torture to wear under my dress. And, since I'm an especially nice person ;) I'm going to get FITTED and purchase an array of new "slingshots"! What the hell, I'm worth it, eh?

• deanneart
    15 years ago

When life hands you lemons (or ice storms) Make lemonade, (or take pictures of the birds on ice covered branches.)

{{gwi:190989}}

Deanne

• jak1
    15 years ago

{{gwi:190990}}

Not a good photo, but here's Ajax!!

Excuse the cluttered background - this is the playroom, where all the bits and pieces of a small boy's world are stored....

Flowerluvr - just as you are going to make time for yoga, I am going to make time for guitar - inspired by Mary's David.

Oh Deanne - terrible memories of the ice storm that hit Ontario and Quebec in January 1998 - or was it 1999? We were without power for 8 days. Lots of loss and damage. I hope things survive for you.

Ajax has managed very well with a Cuz, a Kong, and a rubber twined kind of ball. Everything else is torn to shreds in minutes. LEGO is the bane of my existence - TCS always manages to lose a piece on the floor and Ajax always manages to find it.

Glad you seem to be better 'bug - food poisoning - ugh!

Decorations are beautiful everyone. Now that my cards are done (!!!!!) I am going for a day to photograph the Christmas stuff and spend a day with you.

The dreaded Christmas letter - Oh Darn I Forgot to Mention that TCS is Starting His PHD at Cornell on Wednesday - I Expect Him To Be Done By February....

Actually I was pretty low-key - didn't tell any fibs but didn't gild the lily either - just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

Gotta run, as usual. Three little boys, a dog, and a treadmill - not a good combination!!

Cheers til tomorrow!

Julie

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Yes! Julie got a pic for me! Thank you.

Remember the photo of the dogs with the orange flagging tape? Today, one of them found a ball of yarn in DD's room and unrolled it part of the way down the stairs. I think they have decided they are cats. Perhaps they want a litter box for Christmas?

I've posted a photo heavy thread with the Mexico highlights.

It's been a typical crazy week once I got back - too much to do, not enough energy to go around as I continue to recover from this cold.

Sue, that's interesting about the letter from the old boyfriend. I guess I would be interested to see what he had to say as well.

The dogs are telling me that I have been neglecting them, so I'd better sign off. Tonight's task is to read this idyll through, instead of picking out selected highlights (or low lights in the case of food poisoning and ice storms...)

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After Deannes harrowing tales I hereby withdraw all complaints of cold, frost and snow. Clearly I do not have a leg to stand on.

Be advised that if you are scrolling very fast through this current thread you will observe a flip-book animation effect with Ms. Bella !

And I am pondering which of our three letters will hold the most interesting info : Mary or Julies Christmas epistle, or the long lost ex-boyfiend of Sues.

Happy to have Friday roll around and we are expecting unsettled weather over the weekend so I will try to time my Christmas tree purchase accordingly. I still have not decided what the Fabulous Mantle Display will consist of this year, but I have some ideas. One does wish pomegranates were as cheap as apples.
    We are having a Christmas potluck brunch next Thursday at the awfice , one day after my next go-round of oral surgery. I should be able to eat applesauce and cold scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, mimosas and bloody marys are not on the menu. I could eat those too as long as I dont use a straw.

Marian, what beautiful names all your DGDs have ! Sounds like you will be the next to have to hunker down for the coming storms. I hope you have an alternative in the event you lose power ? Its nice to hear that Nolan is doing well at the present, memory wise.

So nice to hear from Brenda, who seems impossibly busy ! I guess we wont request pics of foundation garments and slingshots lol !

All for me tonight, catch you all tommorow

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Waiting for the light!

At 5AM in backyard with the 3 stooges, plus leashed guestdog Gwen, I spotted a stoopid wabbit running the fence line. Hope saw it too. In daytime, the rabbits freeze so dogs can't see them. Santa Bunny was a big one and Hope thought it was a stuffy. (And sounded just like one when she squeaked it. Apologies to the sqweemish.) I hustled the obedient three indoors to avoid a frenzy and then went back out to see what high value treat would be needed for Hope-less to release it. Turns out 'drop it' worked fine. Not usually the case with squirrels and bunnies in my experience with other pups. (Yes Chelone, she is all trained up!) Dead bunny. Darwin's law and I'm sure it's death improved the gene pool for the species.

I have one remaining gift to dig out a box for and wrap. Then off to the post office. That's about the only reliable tradition I have anymore: standing in line. I did get the candles in windows last week-end. I pack them away with any needed extension cords or multi-plugs and all are labeld by window. That and 4 boxes by area keeps the trouble factor low. Skipped the bay in the kitchen and the old sunroom - both face the back, but I may get to them yet. It would be something to look at at 5AM when there are no bunnies distracting me.

PM, I don't know what kind of dogs you're buying for, but I bought cow tails for all friend doggies on my gift list this year. These are high value treats at my house. In the good pet food stores (you won't find them at PetSmart) they're around $16 a bag, but I stock up when they're sale through Entirely Pets. Link attached.

I see lots of Bella pictures which make me smile. I like what Denise did with the last photo. What a face!

Thought of Deanne when I heard about the New England ice, and glad to see at least one beautiful photo shared :)

Kathy, my kitchen has 3 walls to the wind (it's an addition) and since my thermostat is kept at 58F,(used to be 55F, but I'm old now) the kitchen is usually 53F in the sun. In the morning after a cold night I don't even look at the kitchen thermometer. This is why skinny dogs wear fleece in this house. I'm sure I've said before that walking through my house is like going through menopause. The rarely used living room is probably in the 70s and the cellar is really the warm spot. I do laundry down there to warm up.

Ok,there is light in my world.

Enjoy the week-end everyone!

Cynthia

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

No ice here, thankfully, but Saucy's area keeps coming up on the news as being "worst hit." 1 million people are without power in MA and NH and having been through those areas a lot, the prediction that power will be back on by mid-next week seems optimistic. Yesterday crews from the service side of my work were gathering donations to bring with them: those in-pocket handwarmers, warm socks, plastic bags to use as raingear, candles, hot cocoa and instant coffee mix, little gas grills, anything that might help them and and residents be a bit more comfortable.

I'm sure Rich will be getting in touch with some organization to see if he can help in some way -- it's just too close to us to not do anything when we were untouched.

Kyle has decided he wants "my people" for his graduation, so I'm digging out old phone numbers and making the pot luck dinner list. This should be quite fun, and today he, Rich and I will collectively decide if his paternal family will be here or if we will have them do their own thing. Two extraordinarily different approaches to celebration mean that "separate" is sometimes the more comfortable way to go. We'll see.

Thank You Cindy (I think it was Cindy) who suggested fondue. You have just resolved my "what do I do for breakfast" question since it seems that that's the one Holiday mean for which I'll be responsible. Thinking of using thick French Toast and warm syrup, fruit with lightened chocolate and/or vanilla based dipping sauce...the possibilities are endless. One less thing to think about!

LOL, Sue, about the old boyfriend. I'd be nosy too but also be careful, please!!!! It amazed and continues to amaze me how brazen men can be toward recently single women, like we couldn't possibly get along without a "dangler" by our side or at least on call. From experience, don't register on Classmates or any other from-the-past networking site, the loonies will be at your door in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the cow tail link, Cynthia, and my god dogs thank you too :-) Did Hope arrive as trained as she is?

Re the Topiarys: I still plan to post mine on Dec 20 in anticipation of the Solstice, and hope lots of others join in, semi-leafless or structured plants or not. Just sounds like fun.

This weekend will be comprised of a "putz list" of cool stuff I've wanted to do (those Salvias really need to get out of the garage and downstairs) and just kicking back. Wind chills will be in the single digits but heck, why do I have a bathtub with warm water if not to indulge after freezing my keester off to save some random terra cotta?? LOL

Waving to all, and really hope that friends to the immediate north are staying warm.

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

You guys are hard to keep up with :)

We had ice damage too, and spent half of yesterday with no power. Looking out the window, I couldn't understand why....but when I ventured out for coffee, only a half mile up the street was covered in ice and the street was littered with tree branches....we were right on the elusive "line" that the weather man is always talking about :)

Deanne, I'm glad you checked in....I thought about you as I watched the lead news story last night. I wonder how Chelone made out...but that's a silly question because she is such a hearty woman (roasting by the woodstove, no doubt :) Wendy?

Today is decorating day, and I'm glad to see that I'm right in line with other Idylls who haven't quite gotten into the spirit yet. Jake and Sarah are really ready, so I will follow their lead. Hopefully the spirit will move over me.

I just looked out my window (over Marcy's head, Kathy) and I can see the water is up into the yard. I told Nick that I wanted Ducks for Christmas, and he reminded me that their are duck hunters around :) I'm glad I live on a hill!

I'd better go. Time to refresh the coffee cup. I'll be back later....

Saucy

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well we are still witout electricity. Brrrrr..... Thank heavens for the generator. My Mom came over to spend the night as she also still doesn't have power. We've got to drag that tree limb off the garage and patch the hole in the roof today. My sister over in Windham also is without electricity. The news is saying that there are still 700,000 people in NH and MA without electricity and it might be into next week before service is back.

Saucy, I'm really glad to hear you've got power back. HOpe the ice damage was minimal.

Martie, I've been meaning to tell you that the GC Lavender is budding up like crazy and will be blooming for Christmas. How fun.

Hope Chelone and Wendy are OK too but I think Wendy should be fine. Doug went to Woburn to work yesterday which is close to where Wendy is and they didn't have ice problems there.

Julie, LOVE the treadmill pic! What fun, thanks for getting that one.

Cynthia, Hope is a good dog!

V. going to try to get over to your sunny Mexico shots sometime today.

Sue, what's with this old boyfriend thing???? So the latest one is still married? bizarre!

Allrighty... I've got to finish my coffee and get outside to start the cleanup. Later all!
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning...I've lost my place and no time to find it. Loved reading Brenda's cheerful post, surprised by Sue's old boyfriends [g], thanks for the Pet gift ideas Cynthia and G'bug. I know I am missing a lot, but I'm sure I will make up for it later. :-)

Horrible the ice damage and power outages, Deanne! I am grateful not to have had the ice, but with all the rain and wind, we woke up to a leak in the ceiling to deal with. Grrr! Car shopping is only a close third on the priority list this morning, but we are 'trying' to focus on one thing at a time and be blissfully happy to be out together, Christmas shopping on a sunny day. LOL

Back later...have a productive and satisfying day. :-)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Okay, this is a rant, pure and simple, and probably not at all keeping with a Holiday spirit, but as far as I'm concerned the Snowy Owl can scoop up Ky's father and drop him into the coldest lake around. It's not often I get fired up.....

For the entire time since Ky was born I was the major financial support. Won't go into details but suffice to say that when I left Ky's dad, it was much better educationally and socially for Ky to stay with him. Child support was Always on time, was Always more than the court ordered, and "special" things like computers and field trips were funded by me.

Enter Rich, who knew the situation but also knew that with Kyle in college, whatever I had been paying for child support could go directly to Ky (what a concept!!!!!) so between tuition and living expenses it was tight but we did it.

When Kyle decided to go to Europe for a semester we knew that he would need a ninth semester here for his degree. That was fine, but he would need to fund that last semester. His dad promised help starting in September 08.

Fast forward to today: His dad has given him a whopping $400 since September (rent, insurance, food, books, clothes, etc. etc. etc. was to have been partially funded by that while Kyle did the rest with jobs and of course it hasn't come close to being enough and we've pitched in repeatedly) and the last check provided by his dear old Dad bounced -- leaving Kyle with a negative balance in his checking account, unable to get gas to get to his sometimes cleaning job, and without food. We found this out this morning after Kyle showed up and we asked why he'd want to hang with us until midnight when he could shoot the 30 miles to home between cleanups). Kyle felt terrible. Rich and I have dug in to what little we have and it'll get worked out, there will be a full tank, and Kyle will eat.

But, I Am Furious!!!!!!! For the very first time for some reason his dad's repeated antics have really pi%(ed me off and I'm ready to make some phone calls that I probably will immediately regret, so here I am instead. Until now I've been able to say: "It's just X and why should I expect differently????" but now that Kyle is so darn close to his goal it just breaks my heart that he would throw this behaviour into the mix.

You'd think that since he's single, has a decent paying full-time job with a school system, lives in a rent controlled apartment and drives a car that's too old not to be paid for, he could stop partying long enough so that his son can have what his son has absolutely earned in terms of determination and shear guts.

Okay, I think I feel better, and I appreciate anyone who is still reading at this point :-)

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Martie, I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but wanted you to know that I think that this is the place to rant - here among friends :)

Hugs friend!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

You've done what needs to be done Martie, you've focused on the child. He can act as he chooses, but it is up to you to decide how you respond. Allow yourself 10 minutes to rage, then move on. Continue to focus on the child, knowing how hard it is for him to accept that his own dad treats him this way. Sigh. Believe me, I sympathize!!!!!

Hugs,'bug

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Checking in on the ice storm. Other than Deanne's awful damage, sounds like everyone is OK. Martie, that situation stinks, but after graduation you should be able to close the door on it, right?

Back to a ballooning to-do list. Stay warm and safe.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Taking a lunch break...well Martie...you are certainly having a challenge to enjoying the holidays this year! I am sure it was a very unpleasant surprise to find out that Kyle has been having a hard time with the necessities of food/gas. That would drive me crazy with my kids too, especially if at the moment you and Rich are also finding finances a little tight. You are justifiably resentful and angry. I would have to agree with Denise and G'bug, thankfully Kyle is about finished with school and once he is working he won't need help from his Dad any more. Hopefully not from you either. It would be great if his Dad were different, but after all this time, doesn't seem likely that will change. It is his Dad's loss. :-) Kyle is lucky to have you and it would seem you are lucky to have Rich. This too shall pass.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Last post here... :-)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH