SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Question about overwatering or underwatering

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

I realize that Mirabilis Jalapa (Four O Clocks) are very drought tolerant. However, in Georgia we are getting no rain at all. The ground is very hard, and the ground is taking forever to soak up the water I am providing. Many of my four o clocks were started from seed and others were given to me by neighbors as tubers. I want them to survive so badly.

Some the sun just beams on nearly all day, they wilt and look terrible. When the sun goes down some bounce right back up. As a matter of fact all of them were bouncing right back up. Now I have a few that seem to look wilted even after the sun goes down. Some, only a small percentage have some yellow leaves, which I thought meant to much water. But I know I haven't been over watering, or at least I don't feel that I have.

What are other causes of yellow leaves?

My other question is, I built a 22in X 20in and 9 inches deep raised bed. I packed the soil really well and filled it almost to the top. I wet it, what I thought really well. However, after letting it sit for a bit I chose a section and dug down the side to see how deep the water had went. It had only soaked through about 4 inches, and that's with 2 gallons of water.

I tested a four o clock in a milk jug, the roots grow fast. I had a plant almost a foot high and the roots had already made their way to the bottom of the jug and had begun to form a circle. I guess cause they had nowhere to go.

What am I doing wrong? Is that to much water or not enough for that size of a raised bed 22inches X 20inches (9inches deep)? It's a lot of soil. Wouldn't the roots already be way much further down than 4 inches?

Last question, for someone who isn't good at how much water to provide, would you recommend a soil moisture meter, and do they work?

Thanks so much.

Comments (2)