SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faeriesdragon

1st year gardening

17 years ago

In the beginning I found amateur gardening to be the most confusing, time consuming, expensive, and stressful of hobbies. I went to Shopko's outdoor greenhouse, only because it is right next door to where I work, and because it is a nice little break to walk through the splendor of things just beginning to grow and come to life. It really is beautiful to watch. So you start thinking nah, there's nothing to this, what was I so worried about? Until you start to consider which flowers you're going to plant, which soil is the best to use, do you need mulch and if so, when should you put it on your garden, which planters will look the best in front of the house, (and when you finally purchase planters a good friend's husband tells you they are made of clay and you will be perpetually watering the plants in them because the planter soaks up more water than the actual plant will), ans so on and so forth until your head feels like it will split open. So after several days of wandering I finally began choosing plants and little packets of seeds. My first choices were a little indoor greenhouse, some simple gardening tools and a few packets of seeds. Oh yes, and the infamous clay pots, which actually are very pretty and I could care less if they are clay and that I do water the plants in them 2 or 3 times a day. They were the prettiest ones I found. Once home, I realized I would need potting soil for the planters, gardening gloves-because within five minutes I had soil permanently embedded beneath my fingernails, and fencing to keep the sneaky little bunnies that love our yard out of my garden. I drove to Menard's. Well of course while there I had to buy mulch, just in case, I found gladiola bulbs for $2, which I know nothing about just that they are pretty, and it's hard to pass up 30 bulbs for 2 bucks. I also found coreopsis which were not blooming but the stick thingy on the inside had a beautiful picture of what they would look like blooming, so I had to have them. I love yellow. I then mosied my way to the checkout and after spending $80 in one day on gardening supplies I tiredly made my way home. You would think I would crawl into bed wounded and defeated but no I could not WAIT to get these beauties in their planters and my greenhouse growing. I stayed up until midnight readying my little garden. The most exciting part of the night was watching little blocks of peat expand to 5 times their original size. Now let me tell you that was AWESOME!! Finally I cleaned up my mess and went to bed. I now have aubrieta, coreopsis, snapdragons, painted daisies, gladiolas, sweetpeas, and tulips. (The tulips I tried in early spring so I will wait til next year for them.) But the first day I saw things sprouting I was soooo excited. It has been three days now and it is amazing because I planted those with my own two hands and it is like a pure adrenaline rush. All the hair pulling, the money invested, and the lack of knowledge is paying off. I am very slowly gaining knowledge and expertise and thanks to many pats on the back and kind words, I am feeling like a true gardener. However I am still in beginning stages and would appreciate any suggestions. If you know of any easy flowers to plant, or suggestions on care of the few I have already selected please let me know. I am glad for the expertise. Oh, and by the way, the pesky little bunny came back today. I think he was looking for lunch.

Comments (8)