SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelajgood

Question about a rose's 1st year performance

angelajgood
15 years ago

I planted quite a number of roses last year (my first year with roses) and all of them did very well or at least adequately other than Felicia and Sharifa asma. The latter I somewhat expected and have been keeping her in a pot. Felicia really was a disappointment. She has hardly grown, put out a few blooms in the spring and maybe a couple later in the summer. She was almost completely defoliated early on and just sat in sulked in a prime space in my garden.

I know that some roses take up to 3 years to really take off, but I imagine that this has more to do with growth and blooming than BS resistance. If she is already this pitifully defoliated should I have any hope at all of her improving. I plan to put her in a pot away from the rest of the roses, but am wondering what to expect. Spraying is not an option so I did expect a number of the roses I chose to not do as well as I wanted. I actually had (so far) great luck, so I am not going to whine about a couple of them.

I planted New Dawn in an area that gets less than an ideal amount of sun. I really can't remember exactly how much, but I am thinking about 4 hours. She put out a couple of really long canes, but very, very few blooms. I want to train her against the back of the garage which is a very prime spot in the back yard (most of the sun and most of the roses are in the front). Should I give her another year or 2 and see if her blooming improves? I know she won't do as well in the shade, but if her foliage looks great and she puts out a reasonable amount, I can live with that. I really don't have a place right now other than where she is that I could handle her really taking off. From what I have read it sounds like I could keep her in control if I needed to move her. How feasible is this?

Lots of questions,

Angela

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert