SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancegypsy

Peat pellets, to earth, to chipmunk mouth

dancegypsy
17 years ago

This is the first year in decades that I've attempted flowers from seed, rather than flats of small plants. After placing 84 Moonflower seeds, one at a time, in a jeweler's vise and individually scoring each one, I soaked them for 48 hours so they'd sprout rapidly. Next, I put one seed each, 1/2 inch down into peat pellets and kept them indoors until a dozen or so began to curl up out of the surface. Took all of three days.

The hard part was preparing the narrow little bed in front of my chain link fence and planting each pellet. That was a 12 hour project, mostly due to having to dig out vines.

I am planning to criss-cross the plants by tying them along the same slant as the fence, every other plant going the opposite direction. (Hope that makes sense.) It seems to be the quickest way I could cover that fence, after having recently cleared it of assorted wild vegetation (privet, honeysuckle, poison ivy, Virginia creeper, briar.)

I was thrilled that by the end of the same day, some of my new plants had already lifted their heads out of the soil. Moonflowers come up with the tough seed coat still tightly wrapped around the first seed-leaves. It can take days to fully fall off, while the leaves are expanding and extracting themselves.

Day two, lots of little plants were up or breaking the surface.

Morning of day three... I was devastated to wake up today and find about 1/3 of my plants decimated by squirrels or chipmunks. The seed-coat/first-leaves bitten off, found to be inedible and just left lying on the ground. One little plant (about 4" tall) bitten off and lying there. Five or six peat pellets dug up, pawed over and left torn open.

Nothing was eaten, just the broken up remains of everything. I had sprinkled a trail of rodent repellent down the length of the bed, but where it had worked fairly well in the planters, it sure didn't in the open ground. I'm crushed. All that work to do over again.

WHAT can I do to prevent this happening again, when I re-do this project? I'll soak them, but there's no way I'm going to hand-nick that many seeds again. I'd really like to just abandon the project, but this fence really needs to be covered to hide all that's beyond it. I'm guessing when I go out again tomorrow, on day four, there will be even more plants ruined.

Thanks in advance for whatever you might be able to suggest.

Comments (7)