SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Thorns? Justitzrat Dr. Hessert, Ellen Poulsen, Lady Reading

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I might be ordering Vineyard Song, which I have read is "viciously thorny" and it's giving me second thoughts.

In general, I try to get thornless or mostly thornless roses for lots of reasons including my small children and my own very sensitive skin that has been scarring really badly the last few years.

Can you tell me what the thorniness is like on the following roses?

-Justitzrat Dr. Hessert

-Ellen Poulsen

-Lady Reading

Thanks,

KMama

Comments (7)

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Hi KMama: I'm a Mom too with a 9-years old who hates thorns. I looked up the ones you listed in the book "Encyclopedia of Roses". Sorry, no luck. This book is written by 2 Britons, so they go into details about thorns on English roses, but not much on others.

If you plant in an acidic potting soil, there are lots of Austins listed as low in thorns, or just tiny prickles: James Galway, Golden Cel., Molineux, Wise Portia, Happy Child, Christopher Marlow (has tiny prickles here), Queen of Sweden, Heritage, A. Shropshire Lad, and Mortimer Sackler.

If you plant in alkaline heavy clay in the ground, there are Meilland roses from Southern France. According to Britannnica, Wikipedia, and the map of Europe - part of Southern France is limestone based, and the vineyards of south eastern France have chlorosis. In the alkaline clay rose park nearby here, Meilland roses have the most blooms versus Austin the least. For low-thorn Meilland roses: Firefighter (has Meilland as a parent), Frederic Mistral (long, thornless stem, long vase life).

Two more low-thorn roses: New Zealand and Charles de Gaulle, both have nice fragrances.

Burlington Roses in CA sell many thornless roses for $10.95 - I ordered many thornless from them: Annie Laurie MacDowell, Lynnie, Basyes Blueberry, Marie Pavie, Paul Neyron, Scentsational. They are out on Gruss an A., but have La Marne (low-thorn).

Many mauve roses are low-thorn: ebb tide, outta the blue, old port, and Love potion. These are best in a pot, since a few mauve has multiflora in their parentage and best in acidic soil. Heirloom Roses has a long list of thornless and low-thorn in their website.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

How can I forget the low-thorn Yves Piaget and The McCartney Rose, both of these tolerate alkaline water and soil. If I live in a warm zone like yours, I would grow these immediately. I'm in a cold zone, and I had just killed 3 thorny Knock-outs - they were $20 each seven years ago. You are in a warm climate, why settle for thorny ones?

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for looking those up, Strawberryhill. Helps me from buying them and finding out later.

I love working with Burling... I have several of her roses, too.

-k

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Kristi -- I've grown Vineyard Song.

It's LOVELY, and I really don't remember it being a terribly prickly thing ... But I caution you -- I don't pay much mind to prickles.

No, the reason it is no longer here is the reason I've given up on 'Sweet Chariot, after almost 30 years. It is multiflora at heart, and can't tolerate my miserably alkaline conditions.

If I gardened elsewhere, I'd grow it again in a heartbeat.

Now, LADY READING!!!! WOW! I really like this rose! And tho her foliage is a light-ish green here, she's less-troubled by alkalinity than most of her type. Pretty plant. Striking blooms. Can be troubled by blind growth in springs like this one -- so I know I need to go cut some of that off.

But she don't rust, and she don't mildew. I like her a lot!

Jeri

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I'm glad Jeri mentioned Vineyard Song and Sweet Chariot HATE alkaline water/soil. Both have Violette (multiflora) as their parents. For the gang of mauve almost thornless: Ebb Tide, Outta the Blue, Love Potion, and Old Port - I checked on the parentage. Ebb Tide has the most multiflora (double-dose parentages of Sweet Chariot & Stephen's Big Purple). Outta the Blue (not sure here). Love Potion and Old Port, recommended by SteveinAustralia for almost thornless, would be safe-bet since Australia has a good portion of alkaline clay.

If you cut roses for the vase like me, almost thornless is nice. Last summer I had tons of prickles stuck in my fingers. It was annoying, I had to prick myself with needles to get them out. They poked holes through my thick rubber gloves, so I had to wear deer-skin gloves to cut roses for vase.

We have heavy alkaline clay, and alkaline tap water, pH of 8 like Jeri's. My neighbor told me that a few of her roses don't bloom at all. I have one, "Easy Elegance" Grandma's Blessings, developed in Minnesota for hardiness. However, Minnesota is mostly acidic soil, and that rose's parentage is heavy on multiflora. It gave me 3 blooms in 6 months!

In contrast, the Singing-in-the-Rain Floribunda, or Spek's Centennial, originated from McGredy, New Zealand (1991) is branded "repeats freely" by "Encyclopedia of Roses". This is a blooming wonder at the alkaline rose park. It beats Julia Child, Knock-outs, and Care-free series in blooming non-stop. It is fragrant and almost thornless.

McGredy, New Zealand also developed "New Zealand" rose, another low-thorn non-stop blooming - but it's more suited for dry & warm climate. The rain here beat up that one badly. New Zealand, like Southern France have alkaline soil.

• rinaldo
    12 years ago

Justizraat has thorns, not excessive but about 'low average' for a hybrid tea.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rinaldo, for info. on Justizraat's less thorn. It's bred from Germany, with Trier (multiflora) as its grandparent, but also a double dose of Gruss an Teplitz as its grandparents. Gruss an Teplitz is the parent of Dr. Huey - so Justizraat is neutral for alkaline soil.

Here's a list of thornless roses offered by BurlingtonRoses: Annie L. M, Lynnie, Basyes Bluebeery, Basyes Legacy, Commander Gillette, Hippolyte, Lady Banks Yellow, Marie Pavie, Gruss an Aachen, Pink Gruss AA, Super Jane, Renae (I throw out the ones that prefer acid soil).

And list of low-thorns from Burlington Roses: American Beauty, Anda, Belle of Portugal, Britannia, Cardinal Hume, Cardinal de Richelieu, China Doll Weeping, Clotide Soupert, Clytemnestra, Comtessa du Cayla, Comtessa Vandel, Crepuscule, Cuba, Edith Clark, Devoniensis, Gruss an Teplitz, Honorine de Brabant, La Rein, Joanne Hill, Kathleen, Madame Butterfly, Sutter's Gold, Magna Charta, Mrs. Aaron Ward, Shot silk, Night, Old Port (mauve), Opal Brunner, Orange Triumph, Paradise, Pasadena Tournament, Paul Neyron, Perle d'Or, Pookah, Remember Me, Rev. F. Page Roberts, Reve d' Or, Rita Sammons, Rose Marie, Roseville, Sally Holmes, Secret Garden, Sophie's Perpetual, Souv de La Malmaison, Souv de La Malmaison Rouge, Sunny South, Talisman, Tuscany Superb, White Cecile Brunner, William Allen Richardson, White Pet, and Zephirine Drouhin.

So you have tons of choice of low-thorns for warm weather. Here in cold zone I'm stuck with a few choices like Madame Plantier (the size of a car).