SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abranv_gw

what does pond shelving, snails, and a substrate have in common?

abranv
14 years ago

The answer is..........I have none in my pond. What I do have is another list of questions for you my pond professors.

My pond is an above ground pond without any plant shelving. I was thinking of using cinder block or brick to build some. Could these have any harmful effects on my pond? Any suggestions on what to use?

Also, there is a layer of rock on the bottom of the pond. From what I have read, some pretty gross stuff can collect below the rock layer and be hard to clean and harmful. Could I line the bottom with flag stone? This will give it some color, and sediment should be easier to control on the top of the stones, the gaps between may be another story, but it should'nt get too much below the flagstone, right?

And finally.....Would some snails help eat the crud that is below the gravel or on top of the flagstone?

My pond will be highly filtered within the next few days, but there is still a bunch of stuff lying beneath the substrate. Other than draining and pulling everything out, will these items mentioned above help?

I would really like to put something lighter on the bottom to give it some contrast, but a clear healthy pond is first priority

Comments (6)