SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisa_gw

forming a 'pond' from a gutter drain-hole??

chrisa
16 years ago

Hi - I've never had a pond or water feature before, but have often dreamed of having one :) .

I just moved in to a Brooklyn rental apartment that has a tiny little courtyard backyard.. The level of the backyard (and those of my next-door neighbors) is raised above the alley-way behind us. In tilling the little side beds and trying to make sense of the cracked up concreted patio area (which i've ripped up now) I discovered a drain. Or at least it seemed to be a drain at first, but once dug up and baled out it became clear that the pipe going in had nowhere to go out. So what I seem to have near the foot of my garden is a concrete/brick rectangular basin, about 2'x1'x1' (very roughly) and very slightly below ground level. A pipe coming in from the house side of the basin at it's bottom seems to fill it with water when it rains (even if the basin is covered) but there is no exodus for the water (you'd think the pipe would head right out to the raised garden edge and run into the alley-way) so I am perplexed at what the mini-pond's purpose is beyond snail and mosquito breeding!

So the question is... could i build a little pond centering on this intermittent underground water source? I'm guessing I would excavate the 1' or so to the base of the concrete/brick-sided hole and a few feet to any side, would need a flexible liner to go up, over and into the drain area. But then I would need to cut a hole for the pipe that ( I guess) comes from the house's gutters and empties into the "pond". Would I be creating a problem for the gutter emptying if a built a pond around that drain (I can't imagine so since the water level is generally over the exit hole any-how). Would the internal hole create leakage into the ground that would affect my "pond"? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your inspirations and input!

Chris

Comments (2)