SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Granada Rejuvenation Experiment: Burrito canes now in pots

jenn
12 years ago

It's been 4 weeks since I rolled the Granada burrito. There are 3 canes; two about 1/2-inch thick, and one a scant more than 1/4-inch. Last week the little one showed no sign of life -- no tiny white buds as seen on the larger canes. Kim (roseseek) suggested I get them out of the dark damp burrito in the cool dark garage, and plant each one in a 16 oz. styrofoam cup and expose them to daylight.

So I did that late this afternoon. I mixed E.B. Stone Organics Edna's Best Potting Soil with some warm water in a large plastic saucer.

{{gwi:231604}}

Assuming the little cane was a goner, I poked several drainage holes in the bottom of two cups and planted each of the larger canes with approx. 1/4 of each cane above the soil line (after putting a small amount of soil in the bottom and filling to the top). [It was a good thing I unwrapped them today; one of the larger canes had a small amount of white fuzzy stuff at the bottom! I brushed it off before planting the cane.]

Next I unwrapped the small cane, the one with no signs of life last weekend, wondering if i should toss it out or give it a chance. Imagine my surprise when I saw 2 tiny white buds!!! YES!!! So, I got another cup, mixed more potting soil with water, and planted the little cane.

Finally, I set the pots in a sunny spot to bask in the warm afternoon sunlight. Later this evening, I'll move them to a different spot where they'll get morning sun until about 11:00.

{{gwi:231605}}

To be continued!!

Watch this thread for updates and photos of The Legend of the Granada Burrito. :)

I still have 3 stems in the milk-bottle green house, still putting out some new green foliage, but no signs of roots (yet) seen through the bottom of the bottle. It's too soon so I'm still hopeful.

To follow the whole story about my attempt to restore our old Granada, here are the previous threads:

Replacing a very old Granada

Only 1 cutting to root: which method should I use?

My Granada Rejuvenation Experiment

Granada Rejuvenation Experiment: 2 week check

Granada Rejuvenation Experiment: 3+ week check

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living