SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

The winter of no winter

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

As I once snippily remarked to my sister-in-law, he who marvels at the weather will always have something to marvel at. But this has been a surprising winter. We haven't had one so far, and with temperatures forecast to stay well above freezing for the next two weeks, it looks like winter may never come at all. It has hardly touched down to freezing since Christmas; my lemon verbena and Salvia guaranitica have kept their top growth--usually they die back to the ground--and the latter is blooming. It has also rained enormously--I never saw a wetter winter--but that weather pattern looks like it may finally be breaking up and giving way to alternations between rain and sun.
Usually we start to see the first spring flowers arriving around the end of February: this year they're a couple of weeks early. Primroses and Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata' have been in bloom for a while, and the violets and snow crocuses are starting to open. The white Lady Banks has buds on it...geez. Usually it comes into bloom around the end of April. The China roses and 'Mme. Jules Bouch�' have never entirely stopped flowering, a thing I've never seen before, though their blooms have a ghostly air. All this is very odd and unseasonal and makes me hope that summer's not going to be a month early as well, though that's for the future. I must say it is pretty. Yesterday I decided to trust the weather forecast and begin pruning my warm climate climbers, a task usually reserved for March.
We haven't lived here that long: twelve years. That's not much time for knowing what the weather's like. Climate change may enter into it somewhat, but I think the weather has always been more variable than my mind will readily admit. I know what the averages are and I expect the weather to stick to them, and it doesn't. As I tell my husband, God doesn't read the weather report. This "anomalous" year will go into my mental files, along with last winter's endless snows and month-late arrival of spring, and the three weeks of temperatures in the teens of two or three winters ago. It's all part of the picture. It's all normal.
Melissa

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County