SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpj1926

Help with Doublefile Viburnum

James Hogan
18 years ago

Hi,

I hoping someone can give me some information about a doublefile viburnum that I planted in my yard about 5 years ago.

The plant is presently about 6 feet tall and about as wide. It has bloomed, sparingly, for a couple of years (it isn't in the best soil and it often lacks for water in the summer. It's now in a location that is on a slope and drains very well, and it's in red clay soil. Maybe I should move it to a better location?)

What is odd about this plant is that there is a large stem and several branches therefrom that have sprung up from the main trunk of the plant. There is some very limited leaf activity along this stem. By that I mean that there are a few small leaves that appeared along this stem and associated branches last year. It's almost like this part of the plant is starving, but the rest of the plant seems ok.

This year, I'm going to mulch the plant well, and try to give it adequate water. Do Viburnums benefit from feeding and would it be beneficial to try to raise the pH with a little lime around the plant?

Or is this something out of the ordinary?

Comments (5)