SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Why algae bloom after water change?

jalal
13 years ago

I did a 10% water change yesterday as the 300 gal settling chamber was very dirty--lots of dead algae on the 3 matala mats I have in there. I use the chamber for changes as can isolate the water and treat it with Prime (chloramines and chlorine) before opening the valves and turning the pump back on. The settling chamber runs on one pump to a small biofalls (nothing in there but two green mats), skimmer runs on a second pump to biofiltration falls-50 gal drum full of springflo, scrubbies, filters from indoor pond.

Within a half hour of water change some of the fish were jumping even though I had turned on the Dolphin AV50 air pump. Ph was higher than normal--8.8 I left the air pump running all night.

This am the pond was pea soup green. Water tests show 0 for ammonia( tested with seachems multitest), nitrites, nitrates. GH is 80, KH 90. Ph today is a little lower about 8.4 if am reading right. PH in this pond is normally high.

I do have water hyacinths--only about 12 in a large hula hoop and with the waterlilies about 40% plant coverage. Plants are slow this year due to our crazy weather. Usually I have hornwort in the pond but couldn't afford it this year. Is 27C today but dropping down to 8C tonight.

Our water source parameters show in mg/l:

Calcium: 45.3-48.7

Fluoride: .66-.81

Iron: Magnesiuim: 14.6-17.2

Sodium: .9-1.4

Zing: .002-.004

Copper: Hardness: 150-250

ph: 7.87-8.05

Total dissolved solids: 190-224

Arsenic: .0003-0.0004

I don't know what a lot of that means but I am wondering if something in the tap water causes an increase in phosphates? I have very little string algae, the marginal plants have the nice hairy algae on them.

I've never had an algae bloom before so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong this year. One thing I'm not using this year is koiclay as I ran out. I did buy some of the Grant's stump remover mentioned on this forum--don't know if it will help and havn't tried it yet. Other than Prime for water changes the only other thing I added was Microblift PL last week.

Some of the water hyacinth I have are yellow- the leaves look veiny--yellow with darker green lines in them. They have been making babies though. Our temperatures have been going up and down like crazy. Last week it was 78F on Tuesday night and dropped down to 38F Wednesday morning. All week was cold--temps never got above 55 F during the day. So that may contribute to the yellow hyacinth. Can't find chealated iron anywhere!

Sorry for the long post. Suggestions welcome!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH