SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Excited reaction to 1-yr old Climbing Maman Cochet aka Big Mama

sherryocala
15 years ago

I hope I can write this without sounding too giddy. Maybe a list would be best since my brain's not thinking in paragraphs. But photos first.

Wide shot - a lot of bare canes

{{gwi:233057}}

{{gwi:233058}}

{{gwi:233059}}

{{gwi:233060}}

{{gwi:233062}}

- New growth everywhere. Every two inches!!

- More new growth on the canes that are more horizontal than on those that are more vertical. Jeri's right.

- Almost a total loss of leaves during the last few weeks

- Fed organics and composted 3 to 4 weeks ago. Feeding works.

- I thought the structure from last year was immense - what am I going to do with all this new growth when the canes get big???

- Will there be flowers on all of these side shoots? Oh, be still my heart!

- Can I say again that this rose was planted one year ago? One year!

- For those who haven't seen my previous posts on this plant that's a 12' wide x 8' tall trellis plus the 4'wide arbor.

- This rose is right outside my kitchen windows. My heart is racing.

- No freeze damage on this rose, and temps got down to 20 degrees a few times.

- This is a total newbie reaction, I guess, since I have never seen this kind of burst of growth, but I am absolutely pumped about this rose. I think in the south they say "Yeehah!" Or maybe "YEEHAH!" Or words to that effect!

- In order to see the zillions of tiny shoots better, I suggest saving these photos and then zooming in on them.

- I'm definitely going to add some horizontals (rebar or something) from the top of these posts to give it someplace to go.

- I just think it's so amazing to see a climber in action, and this one offers instant gratification in that it doesn't grow at the imperceptible rate of, say, Crepuscule.

- This rose definitely received less fussing and feeding than any other rose in my yard. Can you imagine what if...

- How long do you think it will be before I can't see the tangerine house next door?

Sherry

Comments (11)