SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cammalu2

Pond plants, spoiled fish, the evil eye, etc...

cammalu2
16 years ago

I have lots of questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with. First off I'd like to plant some flowering and hopefully fragrant plants around my pond (mud bottom) to replace the tall grass. I leave the grass tall around the pond for the grasshoppers as my fish and frogs love to eat them. I'd rather have some kind of pretty plants other than grass though. They'll need to be hardy and able to survive zone 6 Kentucky winters and full sun.

I feed my fish on one side of my pond and they take well to commercial fish feed although they like to wait until the water has softened it some before they eat it. I see them taking it and spitting it out and breaking it into smaller pieces at times and then eating it down. I buy the food in 50 lb bags at the farm store and store it by the pond and feed a couple times a day. I'm probably feeding a couple hundred fish but I don't really know. Anyway the other day I decided to get food for the smaller fish and went to Walmart. I saw what looked like the same food sold in about a 1 lb package for the same price as I pay for 50 lbs... I am sure going to be checking ingredients...

At times I go to the other side of the pond and I don't carry food with me but usually I catch and throw grasshoppers in for a couple of fish that are always over there begging. Well, yesterday I brought over the commercial food and threw in a couple of pieces. Ole Sam Bass hit it like it was a grasshopper and spit it right out and turned sideways and gave me the old evil eye like I had poisoned him. He kicked his fins and swam away. Spoiled brat... Anyone out there had any success at getting a spoiled fish used to commercial feed? I really don't like catching grasshoppers but I will probably have nightmares about the evil I got from Ole Sam Bass... lol...

I'd really like to beautify my pond area with flowering plants that can stand to live right on the edge of a pond.

Thanks

Comments (15)