SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarabell

Shrub selection: Cohesion vs. interest (picture)

sarabell
16 years ago

I've been lurking and searching for a while, and I have a few questions for the beds I'm planning in my front yard.

This is my house:

{{gwi:245056}}

You can see that our front yard is small. There is a path to the driveway that outlines a bed on that left side (about 11' by 10'), and I plan on pulling up the sod to put a similarly sized bed on the right side. I may make a little peninsula for a small flowering tree further on the right (but there's not a lot of room)...

Anyway-- I want to put smaller shrubs as the background for a few perennials in these beds. I'd like to use different shrubs, a dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangea (which won't flower here probably, but love that foliage), a dwarf Weigela, a dwarf red-twigged Dogwood, maybe a small (natural) Arborvitae shrub.

I will have a taller Arborvitae on the far side of the garage, w/ another red or yellow-twigged Dogwood.

If I followed this plan, there would be Arborvitae on either side of the house (though not the same shape/size), Dogwood shrubs on both sides, and perennials all over. Would this look completely schizophrenic, or are those elements enough to pull things together cohesively? Maybe boardering most of it in some Heuchera, would that pull things together enough? Any advice?

Comments (6)