SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nevadamama

Purple Stems on Tomato Seedlings - Advice Needed!

NevadaMama
11 years ago

Hello! This is my first time starting seeds and I thought I was doing ok - please someone tell me I'm not doomed! I started my tomato seeds in trays under two grow lights (fluorescent under-cabinet-type lights) on March 17. They took approximately 5 days to germinate. I noticed the stems looking purple on March 30th and knew I needed to move them up to bigger pots immediately but my babies were sick so I'm lucky I even remembered to water them. I just moved them into 10-oz styrofoam cups yesterday in a mix of 50% seed starter and 50% organic compost (commercial, not home).

Here is my setup and some close-ups - they are 19 days old today (peppers are on the right, they are fine with no purple at all):

{{gwi:236454}}

{{gwi:236456}}

{{gwi:236458}}

I am going to go to the garden center and get some fish emulsion as soon as my babies wake from their naps today. Do these look salvageable? I really hope they are ok, I don't want to have to start over! I am in Northern NV (near Tahoe) and have about 5 weeks to go before I can move them outside. Any advice or constructive criticism is welcomed, thanks so much! :)

Comments (7)