SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoe_hoe_hoe

Needed: Hedging shrub. Must Play nice with Ditch Witch

hoe_hoe_hoe
18 years ago

Howdy folks!

I am soon to be moving again and am planning what to do along one boundary that is quite exposed to a neighboring property.

I have pretty much decided that I want a bamboo hedge for the height and year round privacy. However, to keep this hedge contained I am going to have to do annual root pruning with a shovel or a ditch witch.

In consideration of the neighbor and just because some people can be very bamboo-phobic and fond of topical herbicides (lol), The hedge will be set back enough (?TBD?) to allow me to get my ditchwitch in without disturbing the ground on their property.

However, the obsessive/possessive plantaholic within fears too much space will go to waste behind this grove and that I need to put MY mark on it (lol).... besides I may decide to wrap the whole scheme around to the street side of my property.

So, I'm now pondering what I might use that fits these criteria:

1) Would have to be full sun tolerant.

2) Would hopefully not send out roots deeper than one foot out too very far as both mine and my neighbors septic drain field may be nearby.

3) Would have to tolerate and recover from some hacking back in the fall as necessary to get my ditch witch between it and the bamboo.

4) Would have to tolerate the resulting root pruning it would recieve from the ditch witching.

5) Neighbor "friendly". IE: Looks nice, but is perhaps maybe just dense or thorny enough to keep the kids and pets contained without killing anyone. Doesn't sucker too much or create obnoxious odor or litter. Also, see 6.

6) Looks nice against a backdrop of boo. Probably Temple Bamboo, or Semiarundinaria Fastuosa, if you know what that is. And I'll probably try to maintain the bamboo in a clumping staggered hedgerow formation.

7) I'll be starting with small bamboo divisions, so in order to avoid shading it out, I'll need to start with relatively small specimens on the shrub. However, I would like it to achieve some type of fullness or completed look in the not too distant future.

Tall order?

Hope not.

Thanks

Comments (2)