SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

RRD and a local nursery

lsst
12 years ago

I was visiting a local independent nursery today to look for a certain plant.

As I was leaving, I stopped to look at their roses. Their rose section is slightly off the beaten path.

As I approached the Drift roses section, I saw the dreaded RRD.

My stomach sank as I had bought an Icy Drift there last summer and once planted, the new growth after a month had RRD. I cut it back hoping to save it. This past weekend, I pulled it out and destroyed it.

The roses I saw today were old stock.

I really believe I bought the rose with the virus. I planted the icy drift in my new parterre garden with all my new OGR roses. I am sick wondering if I will lose this whole new garden to RRD. My Ebb Tide showed a RRD branch in the fall and I cut the branch to the ground hoping to catch it in time.

I spoke with the owner about the roses and I did mention maybe it was round up damage. It really looks like RRD.

He listened and said something about taking a look at it.

He did not seem too concerned.

He mentioned that last summer he removed two tea roses due to RRD but had not noticed anything wrong with the Drift Roses.

I do not know how he could have missed it. The growth on some roses was already over 6 inches long and had all the symptoms. Some of the witches broom sections were dead on the plants and had apparently been there for awhile.

If I lose all my new OGR roses, I will wait a few years and try again. I have already lost about 70% of my roses to RRD.

Maybe in a few years, something will be developed to control the virus.

Comments (12)