SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corylopsis_gw

loropetalum chlorotic? leaching from new retaining wall?

corylopsis
18 years ago

Hi! This is my first post other than a roll call. I've learned so much on GW! Hope you might have some seasoned advice for a relative newbie.

I fell in love with 3 loropetalum (razzleberri) with beautiful dark purple leaves and fuschia flowers last fall and brought them home with me - planted them in full sun (south-western exposure), in a new bed (asked for lots of good dirt after construction), in the crook garden of a bent brick retaining wall. I loved the color of the purple and fuschia against my particular weathered orange-ish brick.

Sadly, all winter the leaves turned green and this spring some of the leaves are looking a bit sickly yellow green. There are a few (not many) flowers on each of them now in March. I was reading up and saw that loropetalum could show chlorosis in alkaline soil. Yes, I'm guilty of planting before knowing my pH level, but they were just so pretty and I thought I had the site. :( Anyway, it struck me that the wall was built on top of cinderblocks and some of the bricks and mortar might be under (way under) the dirt. Do you think the wall foundation could leach lime like a house foundation? Does leaching happen this quickly (we just moved in last summer)? Am I barking up the wrong tree and they just need a good feeding or more time or a different spot instead?

What are my options? I love the original color combination and the size would be perfect where they are. On the other hand, if they are reasonably wind tolerant, I have another sunny but unsheltered spot that I could move them to, in a future bed that might contain some spreading juniper and a crape myrtle...the trouble with that new spot is that it is in the dog yard and I worry that the loropetalum will be too delicate to stand a chance. Although if I put them behind the junipers, maybe they'll be ok...

I cross posted this to the southern gardening forum, too.

As a transplanted Northeasterner, I have no intuition about these loropetalum, but they are really beautiful! On a first trip to Atlanta a couple weeks ago, we saw them blooming everywhere and they were just stunning. I hate to see my beauties at home looking so sad. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Comments (20)