SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Can this recover?: Siberian weeping peashrub vs Tiger Eyes Sumac

thisismelissa
14 years ago

Hi there.

I took my daughter out to the bus today, only to find that my Dwarf Siberian weeping pea shrub is looking pretty bad. It's split in 3 places, right near the graft.

One of the splits (the biggest one that has aged wood) has been there for a couple years... progressively getting worse. In hopes to save that one, I asked hubby to put a bolt thru it to help it close up.... I think it's too far gone, so we were just going to let nature take its course.

The other 2 have just appeared in the last couple days. Here in Minnesota, we're having a big thaw.... for about a week now. At one point, this 3½ foot shrub was pretty much covered with snow. Now, as the snow thaws, I think it's pulling down the branches.

What do you think, is it worth saving at this point, or should I just replace it come spring? It was here when we moved in 4 years ago, and while it' is not my favorite, it is a definite conversation piece as people approach the front of our house. The bottom pic shows its location. The bed pictured has since been replanted. But a thought I had was to perhaps try to move the Tiger Eyes Sumac on the right end of that bed to the spot where the pea shrub is. It's just so small.

Opinions please?

Melissa

{{gwi:243810}}

{{gwi:243811}}

Comments (2)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

hey mel ...

i have tried these type of projects.. after years of fooling around.. it usually ends up removed ...

the ultimate problem is not the tree itself...

the problem is that it is THE PRIME LOCATION of anyone visiting you front door ...

that spot deserves your BEST SPECIMEN ... not some decade long attempt to try to save it ...

if you want to try to save it.. move it out back.. and give it the old college try ... and then you can put something special there ...

your choice.. obviously

good luck

ken

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

I agree with Ken. This is a prime location and is the first thing/area any visitor will see. I don't think I would put the Sumac there either. Not because I don't like them, I do, I have two very nice specimens in my yard. I wouldn't choose them for that location because I don't think they are at all attractive in the winter. They definitely wouldn't be the first thing I would want visitors to see in the winter. I think I would go for some type of evergreen or something with an architectural branching structure that would look interesting with snow on it.