SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

different kind of milkweed in Southern Illinois

dirtgirl
16 years ago

Hello everybody.

Need your help with a plant I just noticed for the first time. Probably been under my nose all along and just "SEEING" it for the first time-know how that goes?

It is definitely a milkweed, but I can't find anything similar in my refernce books except maybe Whorled Milkweed- asclepias verticillata- and then it's only a superficial resemblance as the leaves are not nearly as narrowed on my plants here, but more lanceolate. I think, but I am not sure of it, that the leaves are serrated.

The flower clusters are white, and since the DNR (or someone else) has been trying to reintroduce native prairie plants, I thought maybe at first I was seeing my first rattlesnake master. After doing a bit of page flipping, I now know that's not the case. THe leaves and the plant in general have a silvered appearance, and I don't notice so much two-tone contrast between the upper and lower surfaces of the leaves as in many of our other milkweeds. Of course, we are also in the middle of a serious drought, and this might be affecting the coloration as well.

Since I don't yet have digital pics to post, the next best thing would be if any of you have likely candidates or good websites to look over. I think I will know it when I see it.

Appreciate your help-hope it's raining where you are.

But I should be careful what I wish for...

dg

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor