SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nearchicago

Weird growths in seed flats--good or bad?

18 years ago

Hi--new to Forum. Started my seeds about March 15 here in IL, with plans to plant them out May 1-15 or so. This is my 4th year to start seeds in the house, so I am not a novice, but these growths have me confused. This year I bought Scott's Potting Soil for Seed Starting which includes a fertilizer--used to use the organic stuff from Gardens Alive. Anyway, it's a soilless mix, should be sterile. Have not really had any damping off disease that is noticeable. Almost all the seeds germinated. There was some white mould on the soil surface shortly after seeds sprouted. I spray that with a very weak chlorine bleach solution every week or so, so I have sprayed them now about 4 or 5 times. It seems to control it. But I have noticed this week--lots of hot sun coming in now--the leaves are getting pale. I think I may have messed up the soil pH, or maybe there is sun-scald now.

But the weirdest part is the new things--I can only call them 'finger-like' projections--coming up out of the soil in several of the cells. They are reddish-brown and look kind of rubbery with a central hole. Inside the hole, between the 'lips' of these things, is another finger, of sorts,

starting to grow up out of the hole. They are the craziest things. Should I kill these things? Or will they actually help the plants? They appeared about 4-5 days ago. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (6)