SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

beach for wildlife? (with a pondless feature?)

susanwrites
15 years ago

Hi all, I don't know if this is possible but I thought I'd throw it out to the group and see if someone had any ideas. I may be making the simple complex, which is something I excel at. :-)

We are starting from scratch in our yard and have removed everything that was there. We're replacing all the old plants with natives and trying to create a home for wildlife. Or as much wildlife as we can get in the middle of the city. :-)

We had a very small pond at our last place, our first practice pond. No pump, no fish, no problems. Just a preform I put in the ground, some plants and it was fine. The dragonflies had just found it when we had to move. Here I want to do several small water features through-out the yard. Small because the yard is very small. I don't want any fish.

So I thought I'd do another small pumpless in one place but then I was going to do a rock bubbler/pondless feature as well since the birds will be more attracted to the running water. The thing is, I'd like to have some sort of a beach area with shallow water for the birds but I can't figure out how to do it with the pondless. If I have the grid over the reservoir with the rocks on top, the water is just going to fall through. And of course I don't want standing water and mosquitos (can I use mosquito dunks in a pondless feature?)

I can't figure out how to do a beach on the still water one either. Even if I did a bog around it, if I put mosquito dunks in them main pond, would that be enough to keep mosquitos out of the bog?

Sorry if this is rambling all over the place but hopefully one of you can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)