SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzietman

Filter system for duck pond

jzietman
14 years ago

Hi everybody,

My family has had poultry in the backyard for 10 years or so now, and we've had ducks before. We dug and lined a little (probably 12 ft sq) pond for them, and they were very happy. The neighbors (and later we), however, were not, since the pond had no running water and therefore stunk to high heaven. We had a manual filter thing to drain the pond, muck it out, and then refill with fresh water, but we had to do that so often, and the filter was so inefficient, that we couldn't keep up.

My parents bought five ducklings a few weeks ago and they have been surviving without a pond so far, but their ecstatic reaction whenever we shower them with a hose or the like tells me that the pond needs to return. However, I know that we can't rely on the same system of manually draining, cleaning, and refilling the pool every day or so.

Do any of you have any recommendations for how to get a running water system with some kind of filter into the pond? Of course we could change the filter often, but that's not a problem. really it's keeping the water running and clean enough to prevent smells and breeding insects.

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)