SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soupnugget

bush bean for pre-schooler

soupnugget
15 years ago

I live on the seacoast of Massachusetts where I would normally plant my beans outside around Memorial Day. However, I live with a three year old who already is an obsessive gardener. She spent all of March begging to plant something but we were pretty much still snow covered. One day I found an old packet of beans from last year and let her plant some in a couple of old pots I found laying around. I thought that would be the end of it....until one of the beans started to germinate.

I stuck it in a kitchen window and let her water it daily. Now it is thriving on what my husband calls "Rachel's love". Unfortunately it is trying to get to its third set of leaves and is drooping a bit. Does anybody have an idea of how to keep this thing alive until I can plant it outside properly? I have a plastic enclosed shelf structure outside that on sunny days maintains a temp of about 75-80. I can bring it in and out but not sure if it will survive re-potting, and how the heck would I stake it? As it is it is almost outgrowing a chopstick. Any advice would be appreciated as yesterday I saw my daughter hug and kiss her plant while explaining to her baby brother that soon he will eat green beans.

Comment (1)