SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_ann_gw

Tall 3- season interest shrub with streile flowers

L.Ann
12 years ago

I have been reading your forum for over a year - always enjoyed discussion and great ideas. Now I am struggling with difficult choice and want to ask for your advice and help. I am pretty adventurous on the back yard but cautious to make drastic changes to the front yard. We have a ranch home with huge empty space between windows (grey siding). 3 boxwood bushes trimmed to bonsai shape are planted in front of the house. My dream has been to remove the central bush and plant something tall and beautiful there. I would like to keep 2 side bushes for winter interest. So I am looking for some tall shrub that can be pruned to a tree shape or arches naturally. Height from 5 to 10 feet. Interesting foliage (dark purple or dark green) for 3 season interest, long blooming period would be a huge bonus. I already found quite a few shrubs that fit this bill, but my husband is firmly set against anything with berries on it. So I am looking for a shrub with sterile flowers that can fit nicely between 2 boxwoods (4 feet apart). Site has morning and noon sun and then afternoon shade. Protected from west and north winds that are predominant here.

I confess that I fell in love with Black Lace Elderberry until I found out it has berries. I almost cried� There are some attractive Hibiscuses out there, but without flowers they are pretty plain looking shrubs. I am looking for a "star-of-the-show" plant that looks wonderful through all growing season and does not have fruit. I will greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Comments (24)