SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Privet hedges

16 years ago

Please tell me why I should or should not plant privet hedges. I've heard they are (or can be) invasive, and I'm wondering about the pros vs. cons.

We have a small lot - less than 1/4 acre. Our yard is fenced in, 4 1/2 ft tall fence. We are practically on top of our neighbors as it is. This year, we're installing a deck, which is going to put us up higher, which means even less privacy (our deck would sit right across from neighbors breakfast nook - nosey neighbor there). So...we were thinking of planting a hedge.

Initially, we tried planting Emerald Green arborivitae along our back fenceline as a test trial. They did good until this winter - they are now slumped over and have lots of brown spots. Nobody told us to twine them for the winter - you live and you learn. So then we were thinking of replacing them this year with Techny arborvitae - since you can trim the techny into one long hedge (eventually), but my concern is that the techny can potentially take up a lot of room, AND on a techny, a bare spot is a bare spot forever. Techny's will also be much pricier to do the perimeter of our yard.

I realize the privet hedges can grow big and tall also, but you can also trim them up periodically to keep them maintained. They don't keep the color all winter - but, not like we'll be sunning on our deck in the winter either.

I've read that as long as you trim off the flowering blooms before they go to seed, you don't have to worry so much about the invasiveness. I want to plant the hedge all along the perimeter of our fenceline.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Please educate me on what I need to know before I proceed. Thanks much.

{{gwi:242608}}

{{gwi:242609}}

The planter will stay. These emeralds didn't survive the winter, so they will be pulled out...

{{gwi:242610}}

{{gwi:242611}}

{{gwi:242612}}

{{gwi:242613}}

{{gwi:242614}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)