SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mckool

New Pump Suggestions?

mckool
11 years ago

Shalom; Here's what was the setup: pond is approx 650 G, 5' x 10' depth varies from 16" to 29" via sloped bottom to he deep end. skimmer (9" x14" x16"D) with approx a 1200gpm sub pump, piping is 1". I have a presusre filter in the line valved with approx 1/2 of the flow going through the filter, the other half went direct to a small waterfall. The filter is rated for 2000G pond.

I've added a 2nd pressurized filter rated at 7000G and a waterwheel; so now the water flows into the new filter and the outlet is branched and valved so the line to the pond has a valve turned approx 1/3 closed to cause backpressure to run the waterwheel, which also has a gate valve to control waterflow over the waterwheel.

Fish: 6 large Koi from 17-24", plus 3 smaller guys about 6-9" YES, we are fish HEAVY, but so far everybody is happy.

(Don't even think of why I haven't installed a skippy filter, Amein - that' will be the last change to the pond, as already had he new filter and did not plan to build a shed as a mount for the waterwheel) (I'm trying to post picture /video on photobucket, but don' know how to get it connected to this forum did several years ago, but being comnputer challenged, no promises

I want to install a retro botom drain from the pond into the skimmer box which would be a vertical height of approx 20" and then the idea "was" to install a priming pot adn pump in the skimmer box, but I belive size may be the "show stopper" due to it's size. It may be possible to install a Little Giant Flex pump and a prime pot?? (It appears that this combo might work with removing the skimmer filter pad, but most likelyl be a unwanted plumbing "ru-goldberg" event.) In addition, I want to have a 3/4" tee and valve in the line between the pot and pump to still keep some skimmer function within the pump system. This tee will be valved so the flow rate is controlled between the bottom drain and the skimmer input via the 3/4" tee. (Once the bototm drain is running, then the tee can be slowly opened to pull water from the skimmer box and adjusted, accordingly.

The vertical hieght from pmp to waterwheel is approx 5' and with the filters, ells, etc., the 1" pipe is most likely needing to be replaced, so to make it the last pipe change, I'll go to 1.5" size. Curent pipe distance is about 23' to the new filter/waterwheel.

I'd like also for the pump to be able to pass the fish mines, small particles and gut the firt filter and use it as a bio and primary sanitation station(this would retain the 1" in/out pipe) and use the 1.5" up to the new filter with possible 1.5" out of the filter then branch off a 1" line for the waterwheel.

Bottom drain, since the pond bottom is sloped, thought I'd use 2" ABS pipe with a 4"x2" adapter on the pond end as the pickup point - the Tetra retro is 12" dia and since the bottom is a continuous slope, I don't see this item as being practical.

The pump is preferred to be in the skimmer box, but that is most likely not practical so an external pump can be considered. using an external pump, there would be an ell in the skimmer then 2 additional ells to get over the skimmer box and drop down to ground level(approx 9" to where the pump could be installed, the first filter is close to the skimmer so it may need relocation. It currently is in the ground up to the top of the base (16" ??) so the pipe in/out is about 4" above grade.

Longgevity and ease of maintenance are now becomming more important as I'm at my 20th anniversity of my 50th birthday.

Being in Gorgia, north of Atlanta, freezing weather for a few days is common, extended successive cold days are not.

The waterwheel can be shut down, if and when ever needed.

Obviously a low wattage pump is desired, flow rate need not be too great for 650G ppond.

Looking forward to hearing from "Y'all" and thanks for taking the time to post a response.

McKool

Comments (11)