SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my4cowboys_gw

Transplanting question

my4cowboys
14 years ago

Hi all - my first seedlings finally have their first set of true leaves and have roots coming out of the bottom of the plastic cells I started them in. I just want to run this by you all to make sure I'm doing this right.

So I punched four holes, each about the diameter of a screwdriver, in the bottom of an 18-oz. opaque plastic cup. I filled the cup about 5/6 full of Jiffy seed starting mix, gently coaxed my seedling out of its plastic cell, planted it, and put in more mix to where the soil line was. I drizzled a bunch of water into the cup, to the point where it was running out the holes, and then adjusted my lights.

Am I doing this right? Do I have enough drainage holes? The soil still seems quite dry, so I spritzed a little water on top, but I want to make sure my transplant gets enough water. It has been on a wicking mat in the cell, so getting the right amount of water has not been a concern for me up to this point. I am not known for my ability to water adequately to keep houseplants alive, so I am a little paranoid about watering sufficiently.

Any words of advice? Warning? Encouragement? Thanks!

Comments (12)