SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sorelaxy

Need help to ID my mystery plant

SoRelaxy
11 years ago

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me identify this plant. I bought a cutting from a lady who grows all kinds of tropical plants in her yard. It was located in Encinitas, CA (near the beach). She had it among all her tropical plants so I would say it was in partial sun, cool to warm temperature. Even she didn't know what it was as someone gave it to her as a cutting.

It has the most amazing rich purple color that doesn't seem to fade or turn pink even when the leaves age. The stems are a bright red/purple color and the leaves a deep purple with red/purple veins.

I am very new to gardening and have no clue how to go about figuring out what it is so I joined this forum to seek help. The best part about this plant is that it grows in my yard! I can't say that of too many tropical plants. In my yard it gets partial sun and warm to hot temperatures. This week it has been over a 100 degrees but the plant seems to be fine. I've been trying to keep the soil very moist.

I'd love to get more of these plants to put throughout my garden. Or if it's not too difficult for a noob, I'd like to try propagate this plant. If you know what it is please share!

Thanks in advance. :)