SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

serviceberry question

hoyess
17 years ago

I am making a wish list of trees and shrubs to be planted along our back yard. I have plenty of room (our lot line is 375 feet wide and I have about 35 - 60 feet deep to plant in various areas). In researching amelanchier I am quite confused. In our area (zone 5) we seem to have:

Amelanchier alnifolia (Regent seeming to be the most common cultivar)

Amelanchier Canadensis (Ballerina being to the most common cultivar but many unnamed plants sold)

Amelanchier Grandiflora (both unnamed cultivars, autumn brilliant, coles select, robin hill being the most common)

Amelanchier laevis (cumulus and lustre listed).

My decision criteria for my plant list is based on:

1) Good fall colour

2) Good show from a distance as this is at the back of our 2 acre property. This combines with my desire for good fall colour but a poor flower showing is of no value.

3) interesting shape / habit as I have many standard tree forms (acers, nyssa sylvatica, Liriodendron tulipifera planned).

4) Long life & lower care (the area is being planted mainly as a woodland / naturalized area as I have many high maintenace gardens around the house).

Size in not an issue as I am planting so much I will just incorporate size/shape into the overall scheme once I have my wish list.

Based on the above which would be your recommended preference for best show???

Thanks

Comments (2)