SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

What is your favorite style of rose garden?

jacqueline9CA
15 years ago

I just got the American Rose magazine for March/April. There are 2 articles in it, describing 2 different rose gardens, that made me think about how "rose gardens" can be so different. Of course, everyone's taste is different, and there is no "right" way, but I think the subject is interesting.

On page 33 of the magazine it describes the rose garden at the Lewis Ginte Botanical Garden in Richmond, VA. The pictures show acres of roses laid out in a bedding style, all in straight or curved rows, all the same height at about 2 1/2 -3 feet tall, massed by color, with wide paths in between the beds. The only complaint I have with the article is that it says that the garden started with only old fashioned roses, which, quote: "for the most part, bloom only once in the spring." ARGGH! This canard is so annoying. I found it on my local rose society web site too - surely in Richmond, VA (as in No CA) they could grow chinas, teas, noisettes & hybrid musks? But I digress..

On page 60 of the magazine starts an article on "Red Rose Ridge", a huge private garden in Mendocino county in No CAL. They have acres of old roses -- masses of old teas growing to their natural form in large mounds covering a hillside, romantic paths among and overarched by roses, with lots of little secluded garden rooms centered on various statuary, "windows" out of the garden framed by roses opening out to beautiful vistas of the hills...etc. It is breathtakingly beautiful. To my personal taste, this garden struck me as an example of the perfect rose garden. Not possible for most of us, of course, but the style can be snuck into our gardens in little spaces - it is amazing what you can achieve letting roses grow up to their natural height on a tree or house, or to their natural size in as a gorgeous mound - even if you can only fit in one in a secluded corner of the garden.

I realize that lots of people have completely different or opposite opinions of what a rose garden should look like - which makes life & gardening more interesting! What is your favorite style?

Jackie

Comments (14)