SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

What to do about neglected climber?

lisa33
14 years ago

Last summer was my first summer in an old house that I bought. The prior owner had been here for 54 years and was a gardener. Her children dug up and took many of the plantings, but of the few they left, there is one old climbing rose that is about 10 or 12 feet tall. Probably predictably, this climber is blooming only at the top of the canes--way up in the air. I'm calling it a climber because it is very vertical, with stiff, upright canes. I hardly even noticed it during its first bloom, but did notice it again when it rebloomed in the fall along with a surprise sweet autumn clematis in a hodge-podge of fence-line plantings.

Anyway, my question is what to do with the climber at this point. Can it be rehabilitated through pruning? Should I attempt to move it? Right now it faces west and is shaded from the east (by other fence line plants) and south (by the shadow of the house). It gets some sun, but only a few hours per day. I am not sure how practical moving it would be. I'm sure it's pretty well entwined with all the other stuff that's there. I spent last year focusing on my front garden, and this summer I'll sort out more of what's going on in the back where this rose is located.

Suggestions for when and how to prune would be greatly appreciated. I'm an eager beginner with roses. I'll post a follow up with a picture of one bloom. The photo isn't good enough for an ID, I don't think. It was taken from a distance because of the nature of the sky high bloom location.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Comments (13)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012