SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Just updated my rose list on member page

olga_6b
16 years ago

As a follow up on other message on the Rose forum, I updated my rose list to reflect my current status.

I am in constant serch of fragrant beautiful and healthy roses for my climate. Every year I add 15-20 new for me roses to my collection of approx 150 and take away the same number of older roses. I do try to give almost every rose 3-5 years in the garden before making a judgement. So over a long period of my rose addiction (12 years in this garden and way more before) this amounts for long list of roses that I tried. I do have my presonal list of ALL roses that I tried, will never publish this one. It is kind of depressing :(

Olga

Comments (19)

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Olga---I know what you mean about a long list of rose failures----way back in the 50's I thought all roses were HT's---and I didn't have access to a GW----so my list is very long and depressing.
    We are so lucky to have GW and all our friends who are willing to share their knowledge.

Florence

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

But....it's alphabetical!! Prior was sort of alphabetical, by class!

We who have no class now have to differentiate??

• paddlehikeva
    16 years ago

Hi Olga,

It is hard for me to keep my list current as well. I have not updated it for at least a year. You have roses which I am interested in trying, them being on your have list is an endorsement as far as I am concerned.

BTW, I sent an email to your gmail account on January 28th, did you get it?

Kathy

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy, no didn't get any messages from you. Can you please resend it again or try to send it through Gardenweb. Recently I got multiple e-mails through gardenweb w/o any issues.
    Geo if you think it would be better to sort by class, I can do it.
    Olga

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy, I just send you e-mail. Please let me know if you didn't get it.
    Olga

• linrose
    16 years ago

Thank you Olga. I really look to you for advice, on disease resistance especially, and I admire your tenacity in trying out new varieties given many past disappointments. Of course, once hooked, there is no looking back, I believe. Trying 15-20 a year is especially admirable, as I would guess only 5 or so would make the cut after 3-5 years.

I'm sorry I missed the past post, did you list your new ones for 2008? I've been missing from the forum for a couple of weeks now, my computer fried (the motherboard) and i've been using my 14 year old daughter's old, VERY old computer on dial-up to do anything. I just had to get a forum fix tonight so I wait 10 minutes for pages to load . . .zzzzzzzzz. Hope to be back in business soon.

Just been building more board fences around the field here lately, more linear footage to plant roses on . . . YEAH!

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linrose,
    Thank you, you are right, there is no looking back.
    These are the roses that I added in November 07 or ordered for March delivery this year:

Frau Karl Druschke
    Blanche de Belgique
    Rhode Island Red
    White Cap
    Bellard
    Cramoisi Picoté
    Duchess of Buccleuch
    Georges Vibert
    Juliette
    Aloha (new Kordes,not the original Aloha)
    Laguna
    Floral Fairy Tale
    D'Aguesseau
    Umbra
    Baby Ballerina
    Incantation
    Assemblage de Beauté
    r. Virginiana
    I also have several seedlings and one unknown rose that was a gift from rose forum friend.
    Olga

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

Olga, hope you will report on how Incantation does - I ordered it too, along with Won Fang Yon and Aloha, the Kordes. Am into trying some new ones this year....
    Judith

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

No, thank you Olga; the way you have it is fine.

Thank you for all your efforts; you've saved many of us a lot of trouble.

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

Olga thanks for sharing. Do you have Olga's top 10 list?? Sort of like your own personal "Earthkind" rose list. Mine includes Nastarana, Lamarque, and Crimson Glory. These are not disease free by any stretch, but have performed well with no spray, and are alive and well 12 years after starting this hobby. Another that still lingers is Eugene de Beauharnais, which has had its head on the chopping block many times, only to escape by producing blooms. Last summer was its best yet (??!!). I would hesitate to add it on a durable list however. These roses have been dug up in August, moved around, and neglected at various times.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

We all know what a good rose grower you are. It's really Ok about the failed list. Have you tried putting your garden on HelpMeFind? For me it is the easiest way to keep a database of my roses.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Olga,
    Impressive list. I wish I had your spirit. I just updated my list or should I say downdated. It is getting shorter, following the recent purge here.

• morrisnoor
    16 years ago

Hi Olga, I agree with Pam, HMF is the easiest way. Even if not all the roses are listed, the more interesting thing is to have the direct link from the list to the related rose page.
    Waiting to see pictures of your beautiful garden and new roses soon!! :o)

Ciao!
    Maurizio

Here is a link that might be useful: My HMF rose list at La Pietra Rossa

• cheema
    16 years ago

Olga, I sent you a second fairly long e-mail did you receive mine? I responded to yours and had more questions for you. If not I'm not sure why. I used the e-mail address you provided and the first one somehow ended up in your junk mail. Not to worry....I have also been in touch with Lori. If you didn't receive my e-mail I would like very much to try again. Sheriden

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cheema,
    I responded to your second e-mail the same day I got it. Please confirm that somehow my response didn't get into your junk folder or something like this. It was pretty long one. I am at work right now, so can't write new long e-mail. If you can't recover it, please let me know and I will write another e-mail, but later when I am home.
    Olga

• cheema
    16 years ago

Hi Olga, I'm very happy to wait until you have time to e-mail me. I can't find your second e-mail. Thank you for your updated list above. I've been reading many of your's, Nick's and Lori's responses to other's questions which have been a huge help with my own. We are in the same zone with the same problems. I greatly appreciate all your effort and repeated answers to many repeated questions. Many people have been a great help!!! Thank you, Sheriden

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

A couple of observations on your revised list:

1. Laguna (presume this is the 2004 Kordes climber?) appears to be an inspired choice; very disease resistant, remontant with strong fragrance. I need to seriously consider this one for the future.

2. Noticed that "Morning Has Broken" is no longer on your list. This is somewhat discouraging, as I determined to order it based (at least in part) on disease resistance recommendation. The reason you removed it?

Thanks, as always.

• geo_7a
    15 years ago

Olga, was wondering how (so far) Incantation is working for you, as far as fragrance & disease resistance, or is it too early in the season to know? May be-so far for me the most resistant rose is arguably MIP, and it would seem this would not be the case over the long run.

If not Incantation, what may your thoughts be on the gallica "Aimable Rouge"? Have heard varying feedback on its fragrance & disease resistance (my main criteria), so was wondering how it would work on the east coast, since the minimum Rouge Valley Order is 3 (4?), and so far I am only decided on "Umbra" and "Mariannce" (though I will want one gallon and it appears they only presently have bands).

• carla17
    15 years ago

Yes, I would like to hear comments on Incantation also.

Carla

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm