SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Because of the limited rainfall

rosefolly
15 years ago

. . . I've been doing a lot of thinking over the past few months.

This is our third year of drought, and a periodic cycle of several years' drought is normal in this climate. There's no promise that it won't go on for a number of years longer. And even if we get generous rainfall next year, we know drought will return. What's worse now is that many more people live here using that water. I've been looking at my water bills and they are very high despite the fact that I do not have a lawn. What I do have is roses (lots of roses), perennials, bulbs, herbs, vegetables, and a large orchard of fruit trees. So I've been thinking of what I can do to cut my water use down a bit.

Last year I cut my watering down from twice a week to once a week and deepened the mulch. I spread compost and covered it with a wood-chip mulch. This year I'm following the Vintage policy of pruning to leave more on growth on the rose to encourage larger root systems.

But I think I need to do a bit more. I've decided to convert one bed, my terraced Purple Garden, to a mixed Mediterranean-and-succulent-and-California-native planting that will only be watered once a month, maybe even only once every six weeks. The roses and perennials that are there now will be moved into other beds. Since over crowding will not help the water situation, that means that the whole garden needs to be reviewed, and plants of all types that don't perform well be removed. Alas, that will include roses. At some point I will be giving away the ones I de-select.

At this point I don't know whether I'm more overwhelmed at the size of the task or excited about the opportunity to make such an improvement. Most likely I will go back and forth between the two many times over the coming months. For now it will be a time of assessment. The Purple Garden is currently home to my small collection of once blooming European OGRs, and I won't move them until we've had the spring bloom.

Rosefolly

Comments (26)